Going frantic with worry. I'm on LCW, and my partner's on LCWRA. Will I have to work full time? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going frantic with worry. I'm on LCW, and my partner's on LCWRA. Will I have to work full time?

charl1980
charl1980 Community member Posts: 130 Courageous
edited December 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I'm on UC and partner gets lcwra but I had lcw before we met granted one year till March 2022, what happens near that date I know I still get the work allowance and extra money because partner gets lcwra but will they suddenly expect me to work full time?? I have bad long covid I only work 21 hours atm just

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Your LCW is an ongoing award until a new decision says otherwise. There's huge backlogs for work capability assessments so you may not be reassessed at the time they tell you, which is only ever a guide anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • charl1980
    I work 20 hours which when u read back log says I cannot be lcw as I work over 16 hours but I have it so surely that's not right? Can I ask if my partner has lcwra would I have to work full time anyways?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    charl1980 said:.. I cannot be lcw as I work over 16 hours ..
    Working over 16 hours doesn’t prevent you being treated as having LCW. As already advised, the decision you have LCW continues until such time as another assessment takes place and a new decision is made.
    charl1980 said: Can I ask if my partner has lcwra would I have to work full time anyways?
    If you are treated as Fit for Work then you would be expected to work. Partner having LCWRA makes no difference.

Does your partner get PIP?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • charl1980
    Yes he does , but I work 20 hours partly as I care for him so maybe I wouldn't have to look for more hours anyways , someone said if I earn over couples allowance of 600 a month I won't have to look for extra hours anyways all so confused and stressed over it all
  • poppy123456
    You don't have to look for work anyway because you have already been found to have LCW. Which as advised, continues until a new decision says otherwise.
    If the PIP includes the daily living award, you can claim the carers element of UC for looking after him.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    charl1980 said:
    Yes he does , but I work 20 hours partly as I care for him so maybe I wouldn't have to look for more hours anyways , someone said if I earn over couples allowance of 600 a month I won't have to look for extra hours anyways all so confused and stressed over it all
    If he gets Daily Living PIP you should declare that you care for him, if you haven’t done so already. You are then entitled to receive the carer’s element of UC (an extra £163/month) and will not be required to do any work or work related activity (but can do so).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • charl1980
    I was lead to believe if u got the lcw bit yourself even though I don't get extra cash for it that I couldn't be a care person is that true anyone know and thanks
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    charl1980 said:
    I was lead to believe if u got the lcw bit yourself even though I don't get extra cash for it that I couldn't be a care person is that true anyone know and thanks
    No it's not true. Who lead you to believe that?

Someone  could have LCWRA and be a carer also. What they cannot receive is the LCWRA element and the carer element in their UC calculation for the same person.

If you are caring for your partner and they get Daily Living PIP you should definitely have declared it and, as advised, this will both increase your UC entitlement and remove all work and work related requirements. 
  • charl1980
    Thanks u really have been such a help thank you
  • charl1980
    edited December 2021
    Just found out I can claim careers element on UC thanks to lovely people on here! Does anyone know if it can be backdated and is it a difficult process to do, many thanks
  • calcotti
    To get it added to your UC claim you simply need to 'Report a Change' in caring responsibilities through your UC journal.
    The carer element will then be payable from the start of the current assessment period (unless you already get the LCWRA element in which case you will not be paid the carer element as you cannot get both). It will not be backdated before this.
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:
    (unless you already get the LCWRA element in which case you will not be paid the carer element as you cannot get both)
    OP doesn't currently claim the LCWRA for theirself based on information in their recent other thread.

• calcotti
    poppy123456 said: OP doesn't currently claim the LCWRA for theirself based on information in their recent other thread. 
    Didn’t join them up (don’t know why they started a new thread!).
  • charl1980
    Sorry I'm not tech savvy I'm on lcw he's on lcwra so wonder if I can get care element even though I'm on lcw not lcwra thanks for replying apologies if Abit mixed up head in a tizz😃
  • poppy123456
    charl1980 said:
    Sorry I'm not tech savvy I'm on lcw he's on lcwra so wonder if I can get care element even though I'm on lcw not lcwra thanks for replying apologies if Abit mixed up head in a tizz😃

Your question was answered on your other thread.
    calcotti said:
    poppy123456 said: OP doesn't currently claim the LCWRA for theirself based on information in their recent other thread. 
      (don’t know why they started a new thread!).

Agreed, it just makes answering questions so much easier.
  • calcotti
    charl1980 said:
    As per your other thread
    charl1980 said:
    calcotti said:
    No it's not true. Who lead you to believe that?
    Someone  could have LCWRA and be a carer also. What they cannot receive is the LCWRA element and the carer element in their UC calculation for the same person.
    If you are caring for your partner and they get Daily Living PIP you should definitely have declared it and, as advised, this will both increase your UC entitlement and remove all work and work related requirements. 
  • charl1980
    Thanks all and appreciate held decided not to bother as now turns out u lose severe disability to Xtra payment on esa if I claim careers for him , we just get the esa deduct at present it's all so confusing!!
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    charl1980 said:
    Thanks all and appreciate held decided not to bother as now turns out u lose severe disability to Xtra payment on esa if I claim careers for him , we just get the esa deduct at present it's all so confusing!!

If your partner is claiming New style ESA as well as the UC then this will not include the Severe disability premium because there's no disability premiums payable when claiming New style ESA. Your partners ESA would be £114.10 per week and is a contributions based benefit only.
    As you can see by this link here. https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/eligibility disability premiums are only payable on the old income related benefits.
    Based on everything you said, i see no reason why you can't claim the Carers element, unless of course someone else is claiming either this or Carers Allowance for looking after them.

• charl1980
    It's not new style esa it's old style as he gets contribution based if situations don't change it just continues past the year if u in severe group we where told all so confusing isn't it!!! 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    Which ever it is, it’s still contributions based. As you’re also claiming UC as well then there’s no disability premiums available on that ESA. 
    As he’s in the Support Group for ESA it’s an ongoing award. It’s only limited to 1 year if in the work related activity group.
    You are just confusing yourself here and we seem to be going round in circles. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.