Ripping Cloths — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ripping Cloths

Options
raainbeauty12
raainbeauty12 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My son keeps ripping up all his clothes and throwing them away Do anyone know how i can deal with this. I asking him why he keeps doing this and his answer is he doesn’t know. 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @raainbeauty12 and welcome to the community. 
    Can I ask how old your son is? In my experience this can often be sensory-related and it may well be that he really doesn't know why he is doing it. 
    Does he do it more with specific clothing types or have you noticed any triggers (for example when he's particularly stressed, or it's busy for example)? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • tracieT
    tracieT Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I came here to ask exactly the same thing. My 9 year old step son who has limited communication skills is constantly ripping his clothes. It used to be linked to a growth spurts but now he’s doing it as snd when. He had brand new pjs on few nights ago and the next day they looked like they had been through a shredder. He has no uniform left for school we need to buy him more as he’s ripped through all 5 sets, and don’t even get me started on socks and pants lol literally if I don’t laugh I’m going to cry and I don’t think I’ll stop.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Does your step-son have any 'fidgets' you could direct him to instead @tracieT? I know it won't work for everyone but my middle child used to chew and rip furniture and would pick apart anything they could get their hands on. We found having constant access to things to fiddle with helped enormously, especially if they were things that could keep on their person.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness