LCWRA Mandatory Reconsiderations. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA Mandatory Reconsiderations.

aimee89
aimee89 Community member Posts: 27 Listener
Hello. 

I’m currently going through a mandatory reconsideration for LCWRA, as I was waiting 2 years for a results and I was basically told I was fit for work even though I’m unable to leave my home and my husband is my full time carer for me and my physical disability. 
I sent it off the start of December and I’m still waiting for a result. 

Is anyone going through this or have been through this? Any advice or help, and has anyone had any success? 

I started the whole process March 2019 and still not had any success or help with my disability. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    We have had some members that have had the decision changed at MR stage for this. Although the most likely outcome is the decision will remain the same. If you're not happy then it's Tribunal stage after MR. Timescales are between 2-12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • aimee89
    Just hope it doesn’t have to go to a tribunal. However do you know what happens in that case? Will I be needed to go to court and does it cost? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    aimee89 said:
    Just hope it doesn’t have to go to a tribunal. However do you know what happens in that case? Will I be needed to go to court and does it cost? 
    It's not a court, it's a tribunal. There is no cost involved.
    https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit-decision
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/problems-with-benefits-and-tax-credits/challenging-benefit-decisions/challenging-a-decision-by-the-dwp-or-hmrc/appealing-against-a-benefit-decision/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    If it does get to that stage some expert advice will also help. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/
    At the moment, hearings are by telephone rather than in person.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • aimee89
    Thank you very much. 
    I just want this to be sorted really. Been waiting nearly 2years for this to be sorted and it’s very frustrating. 
  • poppy123456
    The pandemic has been the whole process longer for a lot of people. You are not the only person to have been waiting this long.
  • aimee89
    Yes I understand that but that’s not helpful to myself and other people like you say who are struggling financially with life changing disabilities who haven’t got a quality of life they would like. I’m 32 and can not leave my home and I can’t  afford my rent some months. 
    I was put forward for this extra help by my work coach at UC back in March 2020 before the pandemic began. 

Your comments aren’t going to help me just by saying Covid is slowly things down unfortunately. 

You have no idea how hard and frustrating this has been and how living with my disability affects me and my family. 
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry you didn't like my comments, just speaking the truth. It's not anyone's fault here that it's taken this long for you.
    I know exactly how hard it is because i've been there myself. I've had my disability for more than 10 years and times have been hard for myself too, especially bringing up 3 children as a single parent. There were times when i had no money to put food on the table to feed my children so yes, i do know.
  • aimee89
    I’m sorry I didn’t mean to come across rude or disrespectful in any way and I know we all have our own issues and things going on. 

I just wish I didn’t have to fight for help and support. That’s all. 

I’m not asking for money I’m just asking for to be seen as someone who needs some support and help. 

I can not work because of my disability. I’ve lived with it since I was 7 years old and I’m 32 now and it’s been extremely hard. 

I’m sorry if I’ve come across in any way rude or unsupportive because I know how hard it is so I understand completely and can sympathise. 

Thank you for your comments. 

• poppy123456
    You can see the descriptors here, i assume you've looked already though. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/3904-limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

• aimee89
    Yes I have seen the above link before and I’ve asked for reconsideration on the motability and standing compartment. 
    I’ve also told them I get full enhanced rate on my pip for the motability. I know that’s a separate thing but I did tell them that, also that I’ve been told by my orthopaedic consultant that I need to have a knee replacement and I’ve been told to stay at home and do the minimal. And my gp has signed me off sick since feb 2019. Unfit for work due to recurrent dislocations in both knees. I also have chronic arthritis in both knees too. I use crutches to walk around my home and can not walk more than a bus length before having to come home and then I can’t move for a few days. 

I will just have to wait to see I suppose. 

Thank you for all your comments. I’ll update once I know.  
  • poppy123456
    Yes PIP mobility and the mobilising descriptor for LCWRA are different. LCWRA takes into consideration the use of a manual wheelchair, which PIP doesn't.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.