If someone claims carers for me can I claim CA for my son? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If someone claims carers for me can I claim CA for my son?

bobbimummy
bobbimummy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Some one claims carers element for me I am struggling to know if I can claim my own ca for my son 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    If they get a relevant disability benefit then yes you can claim CA for looking after them The fact somebody gets CA for looking after you is not relevant. However whether or not you can actually be paid CA will depend on what other benefits you already get. For example, if you are pension age and get a State Pension you will not be paid CA (although claiming it might increase entitlement to other benefits).

If you get Universal Credit you can claim the carer element of UC (unless you already get the LCWRA element) without claiming CA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    One thing to point out because we don't know how old your son is. If he's claiming a Severe Disability Premium in another benefit, this will stop if you claim either Carers Allowance or Carers element for looking after him.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Some one claims carers element for me I am struggling to know if I can claim my own ca for my son 
    No issues at all other than what everybody else has said. Please bear in mind that the type of care you are giving does not create questions of your own disability claim. It is quite common for husband and wife to each claim Carers Allowance for each other.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.