NHS Dental implant cost help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NHS Dental implant cost help?

Options
TheSurvivor
TheSurvivor Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello. I'm currently under my hospital community dental team. I have Thyrotoxicosis, post subarachnoid haemorrhage ten years, spondylosis, complex post traumatic stress disorder, and post heart attack one year. Outwardly I'm a slim and healthy looking 54 but my teeth are falling out due to my conditions and medications. I'm about to have surgery for another six removed that are just roots, after snapping off during lockdown, though I am congratulated on the remaining being unaffected but they've discoloured now and chipped. I also had a restrictive eating disorder that's kicked off again because I can no longer chew. There are no teeth for dentures to adhere to at the back, and community dental can't help as they just extract. I've had to get dermal filler around my mouth as it was collapsing and my mental health was already severe before this (linked to childhood trauma also involving the family dentist) I'm on lowish income. I'm in North Yorkshire, if anyone knows of anywhere that could assist with advice, please can you point me in the right direction? I'm going further and further downhill due to lack of food/mental health etc.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi @TheSurvivor thanks for reaching out here on the forum, I'm sorry to hear about how you're feeling lately, have you spoken to your GP about things? I can imagine it must be very stressful and unsettling worrying about whether you're able to eat enough.

I've had a look on the NHS website, and there's lots of information on getting help with dental costs, including the NHS Low income scheme, which you might be able to qualify for. I hope it helps :)

Keep us updated with how you get on, and don't be afraid to ask if you're unsure of anything, we're here to help. 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • TheSurvivor
    TheSurvivor Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Alex. I'm unfortunately unable to access a regular dentist due to my disabilities; I become tachycardic due to the childhood trauma, and given I'm a year post heart attack with stents, most general dentists won't risk using anaesthetic on me as that also induces the irregular heart beat. I'm in a catch 22 unfortunately and the only dentists willing to see me will be looking at a minimum of 20k for new teeth. It's why I'm having general surgery for the six out. I'd just like to see an NHS dentist who would help me eat again. My GP has been involved in all referrals, she's out of ideas. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Okay @TheSurvivor thanks for explaining for me, I'm sorry to hear it's been a traumatic experience in the past. It might be worth speaking with your GP about getting in touch with a dietitian or a speech and language therapist through the NHS. They may be able to advise and inform you on how to modify what you eat, so that it's easier for you, doesn't cause you pain and keeps you well fed, of course. 

I did find this leaflet from the NHS, please do bear in mind it does relate to Imperial College London, but you might find the more general advice useful going forward. 

Keep us updated if you decide to speak to your GP again, and let us know if you have any other questions.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness