Is the amount of housing element based on how many bedrooms you have or how many you're entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is the amount of housing element based on how many bedrooms you have or how many you're entitled to?

Options
blubutterphie
blubutterphie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone knows if the amount you get for housing element on universal credit is based on:

a ) the LHA rate for your area based on how many bedrooms you actually have in your house
or
b ) the LHA rate bedroom rate you are entitled to based on the number of people

This is for private renting.

To give a context, if you have three bedrooms in your house, but are entitled to four beds based on the number of people living in the house, do you get the LHA for 3 or 4?

Many thanks in advance for any help ☺️

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    It’s based on the LHA rate for the number of bedrooms you are entitled to or the actual rent, whichever is lower.

In your example it would be based on the four bedroom rate.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • blubutterphie
    Options
    Thank you ☺️
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @blubutterphie and welcome to the forum, I see calcotti has helped to answer your question, but do let us know if there's anything else you're unsure of and we'll do our best to help :)

Feel free to explore the forum if you would like to, the categories page shows discussions that might be of interest.

Alex 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • blubutterphie
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome Alex, I will definitely be having a look around ☺️
  • wkd
    wkd Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    Options
    I am confused with this. I have seen a house I like it is 1 bedroomed, I am on PIP enhanced rate for both, so does that mean I could apply for the 2 bedroomed rate or only the 1 bedroom rate?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 18
    Options
    wkd said:
    I am confused with this. I have seen a house I like it is 1 bedroomed, I am on PIP enhanced rate for both, so does that mean I could apply for the 2 bedroomed rate or only the 1 bedroom rate?
    If it’s privately rented and you live alone or with a partner you will be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. 

If you need regular overnight care then you could be entitled to 2 bedroom rate. However, you can’t claim for more than what your rent actually is. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wkd
    Options
    wkd said:
    If it’s privately rented and you live alone or with a partner you will be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. 

If you need regular overnight care then you could be entitled to 2 bedroom rate. However, you can’t claim for more than what your rent actually is. 
    So are you saying although it's a one-bedroomed property and I have a carer,  there is no bedroom for that carer, so if they stay in the lounge  I might be entitled to the 2 bedroomed rate for a one-bedroomed property? Sorry, I am still a bit confused.

Also, how can I prove I need a carer? My psychologist, well both wanted social services involved for an assessment which I turned down and there are times when I do need a carer with my depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia, but I am not sure how I could apply for the two-bedroomed rate and what evidence they need. It all seems a bit washy with their rules.

And thanks Poppy for your reply, this forum is lucky to have you because 

• poppy123456
    Options
    You do not need to have 2 bedrooms to be entitled to 2 bedrooms. It's the same as families that have children but not enough of bedrooms for all of those children, if they are entitled to a bedroom each. They will still be entitled to the LHA for their circumstances. (but they can't claim for more than what their actual rent is)

I'm unsure of what evidence they will ask for, if they ask for it. It does need to be "regular" overnight care though. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wkd
    Options
    You do not need to have 2 bedrooms to be entitled to 2 bedrooms. It's the same as families that have children but not enough of bedrooms for all of those children, if they are entitled to a bedroom each. They will still be entitled to the LHA for their circumstances. (but they can't claim for more than what their actual rent is)

I'm unsure of what evidence they will ask for, if they ask for it. It does need to be "regular" overnight care though. 
    Thanks for your advice Poppy.  It is such a grey area and what troubles me is going for the one-bedroomed house and then finding they don't allow for the two-room allowance as there would be a considerable shortfall to make up. 

I wish I wasn't ill and could work, but even if I worked I would struggle considerably as rent prices are just stupidly high and are pricing many people out of the market.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don’t think it’s such a grey area as you think. It’s much easier to claim an extra bedroom for a carer than it is for not being able to sleep in the same room as a partner. 

The only issue here is that UC would not be able to tell you in advance whether you would be entitled to the extra bedroom. It really depends on how often you need a carer overnight.

I totally agree that private rentals are ridiculously high! The LHA is due to increase from April but it’s not likely going to help a huge amount. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.