Child disabilty element and careers??? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Child disabilty element and careers???

NickolaB2131
NickolaB2131 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)

Hi 

Ive recently been told that child disabilty element is going to be awarded back to august 2019 ive been advised on my journal that under special circumstances it was awarded and will now be backdated please does anybody know how long backdating takes and if this seems correct to be back dated all that time.

Thank you 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NickolaB2131 thanks for your question, I'm pleased to hear it's going to be backdated. There's no set answer I can give you as it is variable, but hopefully not too long.

To help our members find your post I've marked it as unanswered, someone should be able to help clarify things for you. Let us know if you're unsure about anything else.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    If your child met the qualifying conditions back then and they have agreed to backdate it then that’s fine. 

Time scales will vary but it could be a while. They will have to recalculate every month of UC since that date, compare your entitlement to what you actually received and then add up the monthly difference in order to calculate the amount owed.

In the heading you also refer to carers (I assume careers is a typo). Did you have a question about that too?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • NickolaB2131
    Hi Thank you for replying sorry i wasnt very clear i was recieveing careers element from march 2020 after advising UC about my child and there needs and being on dla nothing was mentioned to me about the disability element but the careers element started in march 2020 in september i went onto LCWRA and the careers element ended but on the decision made the desicion maker said the careers element would also be awarded from august 2019 because the payment didnt start till march 2020 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team

Hi @NickolaB2131. Have they sorted out your backdating now?

Community Manager
    Scope
  • NickolaB2131

Hi yes i was backdated the full amount Thank you for asking.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    edited March 2022

Really pleased for you @NickolaB2131, thanks for updating us! 🙂

Community Manager
    Scope
  • helpanswer
    helpanswer Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Could I ask how long it took for payment to be backdated thankyou
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,363 Disability Gamechanger
    Could I ask how long it took for payment to be backdated thankyou

It often takes a month or so.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.