Advance on first payment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advance on first payment

cwatson0000
cwatson0000 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
Hi there I’ve been helping my mum with her UC claim as her tax credits ended. She needs to apply for an advance on her first payment, but needs a same day payment as she has no money and I have limited funds to help her and the 3 kids. She needs food for them all. In the UC journal, do I ask before I apply for the advance to put it through same day? Or how? How can I guarantee it’s same day payment for her. Also it says she can get just over 1000 for her advance which I calculated to be standard amount for herself, and 3 child elements. She is in the ESA support group so surely she should be allowed to get the LCWRA element in her advance? Maybe I’m wrong, I’m not sure? Also, they haven’t included the rent in the advance payment… so I’m a bit confused if we should apply for it. Ultimately we will anyways, because she does need the money! But should they include LCWRA and rent in the advance or not? Many thanks :))

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    It can be done as a same day payment. The LCWRA element is likely not to be included in the advance because they wouldn't know she's claiming ESA in the Support Group. Not sure about the rent.

When she claimed UC if she was still claiming ESA and housing benefit then both of those should continue for a further 2 weeks and then they will stop.

If any part of her ESA was Contributions based then this will continue (£114.10/week) and be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cwatson0000
    Okay thank you for this information, I appreciate it! How can I make sure that the advance comes as a same day payment?
  • cwatson0000
    @poppy123456 I have done the advance now on her journal, but it says it’s due for 11th January. I’ve put in journal and asked for them to make it a same day payment, but I’ve had no reply. What can I do?
  • jbug
    jbug Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Are you asking if you can get an advance from the day you apply? Unfortunately you can not. You can have the advance from the day you attend the Jobcentre to confirm your identity. So, your mother would do that. I think in some circumstances that can be done over the phone, but that would not be the day you applied.
  • jbug
    I'm sorry to double post, but, she might be better applying for a budgeting loan through ESA before moving to UC of she is on desperate need.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    @poppy123456 I have done the advance now on her journal, but it says it’s due for 11th January. I’ve put in journal and asked for them to make it a same day payment, but I’ve had no reply. What can I do?
    I think you need to give them a while to reply & also factor in they close in a few hours time and it’s the weekend. 
  • cwatson0000
    She’s already been to an interview, I’m talking about receiving the advance the same day you apply for it. There is no use in her applying for hardship loans and budgeting loans, she’s had too many.
  • jbug
    Right, I got you. You can try and call them.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there any reason why she’s left
    it to today before applying for the advance payment? With it being Friday, if no one sees that message then it may not be done until Monday. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cwatson0000
    Her identity wasn’t confirmed until 10am today so today was the earliest.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Hopefully they responded, if not, you will need to wait until next week. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.