APPs and other technology — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

APPs and other technology

Options
Daniel_2021
Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
Hi,
I just wondered are there any apps or tools that people use to make their life a bit easier, it can be pertinent to your condition or just due to having a health issue/disability.

I have the app that allows me to control the heating so I don't have to get up, I order my medication via an app rather than visiting the practice, my wife have alarms set for when I have my tablets and I have a falls device linked up to a local firm who will phone 999 if I don't respond.

I've just downloaded an app for wheelchair skills which made me think if there anything else I could be missing out on.

Thanks,
Daniel 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Daniel_2021

What a great thread. I use Read and Write 11 and Dictation in Microsoft Word!
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, great thread @Daniel_2021 :) I don't use much tech myself, but I know that some people find smart speakers (such as Alexa) of great help around the home, as well as smart doorbells. Have you considered either of those? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Tech sort of left me behind 10 years ago, although quite recently we invested in an Alexa which we are enjoying, but i'm not a fan of Apps,
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The biggest time saver for me these past few years has been the introduction of smart speakers and voice assistants into my daily life. It makes doing so many tasks much quicker though they aren't exactly cheap.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    Options
    All the people we know have had Alexa's for ages, and all are happy with them, we got ours last year as amazon were offering a good deal on echo4, we certainly won't be returning it as we enjoy what we use it for. Do you have a link to your theory Mike?

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,552 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Sticking with Alexa for a minute, I need to reset mine to factory settings as it was my sons who told me to have it, but I can't register it on my app without resetting. Which I'm struggling with. I do miss it, great speaker sound for music in kitchen.
  • woodbine
    Options

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,552 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @woodbine I'll try again tomorrow I've sent loads of emails to amazon and they've sent back saying it can't be  re registered without resetting.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have five I have 2 echo show 1 echo dot and two tower alexas I have had alexa dunce they came out I havent heard of anyone sending them back they sold out Xmas in tesco asda and argos 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • woodbine
    Options
    I think I might have mentioned before that I have nothing to hide and therefore privacy is way way down my list of concerns.

Brightness