Help with UC please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with UC please

Faz88
Faz88 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Good morning, hope you're all keeping well.

I'm just after some advice if possible please.

I've been employed by the same company for 14 years but have a tough couple of years recently.

I was off work from Sept 20 until May 21 after caring for my ill Mum, who was terminally ill. I went back to work part time due to needing to be home for child after school but could only last a few weeks and have been off with mental health since.

I've been claiming UC and recently got awarded PIP standard rate which is really helpful.

My current doctors note with work expires the end of January, but I'm wondering if it's best to hand my notice in at work. I feel quite guilty keep giving doctors notes to work, after they have been really good to me and it makes me anxious everytime I have to tell them I got another doctors note and would like them to be able to get a replacement for me at work.

I'm just wondering if I did that, would UC make me look for work? Mentally I don't feel I could cope working at the moment until I get a bit better. Or would UC stop because I quit my current role. 

Sorry for all the questions, it's the first time I've had to deal with dwp and it can be confusing.

Thanks for any help and have a great weekend.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    You should never just hand your notice in without first getting some expert advice, especially as you've been working there for 14 years. You should speak to ACAS first. https://www.acas.org.uk/
    Have you reported your health condition onto your journal and handed in fit notes to start the work capability assessment process off? If you haven't then you should do this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

As above I wouldn't.advise resigning speak to your employers about your options could be medical dismissal which some companies pay some form of compensation 

You could start by asking for referral to oh for work place assessment who will then make recommendations on your future employment 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Faz88

Thanks for posting, and again welcome to the community!

I just wanted to check how your mental health is at the moment? Do you receive support to manage it? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Faz88
    Faz88 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll speak to acas tomorrow. I had a appointment with occupational health in November, they said I should be off until the end of January.

Mental health is okay at the moment, it's much better when I'm at home. I get anxious when I'm out and especially when around people my anxiety starts.

Would it be better if I spoke to work about not returning, I don't think I would be able to any time soon.

I haven't been uploading my doctors note to my UC, I wasn't fully aware I should have until last week. Is it worth telling them I've been off sick? I think they could tell via my work payments of SSP

Thanks again and hope you're all okay 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    My advice is to still speak to ACAS. You should report your health condition for UC and you do this by reporting a change of circumstances. The longer you leave it the longer it will take to refer you for the work capability assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Faz88 said:
    Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll speak to acas tomorrow. I had a appointment with occupational health in November, they said I should be off until the end of January.

Mental health is okay at the moment, it's much better when I'm at home. I get anxious when I'm out and especially when around people my anxiety starts.

Thanks again and hope you're all okay 
    Thanks for your reply, I'm glad your mental health is okay, but I'm sorry to hear that it becomes challenging when you are out and about. If you feel as though you need support to manage it, you should speak with your GP. Mind also have a lot of useful resources, such as this one.

I hope speaking with ACAS goes well.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.