A benefits question, am I able to claim any of the disability premiums? — Scope | Disability forum

A benefits question, am I able to claim any of the disability premiums?

annlongley90 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 18 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and can't find the answer to this query though I'm sure it's here somewhere. I receive enhanced rate of both categories of pip, and also what I think is contribution based ESA. I haven't worked since 2007, having been forced to give up work due to disability.

My question is am I able to claim any of the disability premiums, and if so which ones please?

Hoping for some answers soon.

Thanks in advance



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,477 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 10
    If your ESA amount is £114.10 per week then this is entirely contributions based ESA and whether you're entitled to any of the disability premiums will totally depend on your circumstances. Living with a working partner/savings/capital.
    If your ESA is more than this then it's possible that part of it is Income Related. If you're in the Support Group then the Enhanced disability premium is automatically paid for those claiming Income Related.
    If your ESA is New Style ESA there's no disability premiums payable with this but if you've claimed ESA since you finshed work then it won't be New Style ESA.
    The only other premium payable is the Severe Disability Premium and whether you're entitled to this will depend on circumstances. You must live alone (or be classed as living alone) if you live with a partner or adult children then they must all receive either daily living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care, Attendance Allowance or be registered blind. No one must also be claiming either Carers allowance or carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you. Details here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 2,477

    Scope community team

    edited March 18

    Good afternoon @annlongley90 and welcome to the community, thank you for reaching out.

    Please do feel free to explore the forum and get back to us if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask


    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.