16 hours a week. Is this work permitted or will I lose my ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

16 hours a week. Is this work permitted or will I lose my ESA?

Andersrn68
Andersrn68 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am receiving esa but have been offered a job in a pharmacy 16 hours a week. Is this work permitted or will I lose my eas thanks

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Hello @Andersrn68 and welcome. Thanks for your question, hope you're well today?

According to gov.uk, that is permitted, as long as you don't earn more than £143 a week. It says:

"You can work more than 16 hours a week if the work is either voluntary or 'supported permitted work'."

You can read more about the details of that in the link above, which I hope will answer your question.

Do let us know if there's anything you're still unsure about, and as a last note I've moved your post into our ESA category so users can find it more easily, and edited the title.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    You must make sure you work less than 16 hours per week, 16 hours and above you won’t be entitled to ESA. 
    You must make sure you tell DWP that you’re working.
    If the work you do contradicts the reasons why you’re claiming ESA it could go against you when you’re next reassessed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    According to gov.uk, that is permitted, as long as you don't earn more than £143 a week. It says:

"You can work more than 16 hours a week if the work is either voluntary or 'supported permitted work'.
    That is incorrect. Working in a pharmacy is neither voluntary work nor supported work. As advised by poppy the proposed work can only fall within permitted work rules if it is less than 16 hours and earnings are not more than £143/week.

Note that earnings are the gross amount less any NI, Tax and half of any pension contributions. At this level of earnings there will not be any NI or tax due (unless claimant hasn’t other sources of taxable income) but if they are paying income a pension scheme the relevant amount for ESA will be higher than the actual pay received because half of the pension contributions need to be added back.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for making the answer to the OP's question clearer poppy and calcotti, as I mentioned the gov.uk page does go into more detail on what the terms "voluntary or 'supported permitted work'" mean, so please do give that a read @Andersrn68  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Andersrn68
    Andersrn68 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you all for your advice much appreciated 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.