Which type, If any Supports for Shoulders and wrists? Recommendations? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Which type, If any Supports for Shoulders and wrists? Recommendations?

hEDgirl
hEDgirl Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
Hi,
 I am looking for advice on the best types of slings, or other supports for the shoulder, wrist and thumb.  

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobile type, (hEDS).  Our joints "sublux", and doing the Physio exercises with resistance bands, although exhausting, did seem to help.  However, my shoulder joint soon became more unstable. The thumb up to past the wrist on the radial is weak and also painful.

I am looking for some kind of support for the right shoulder, for when I am out and about, traveling on public transport and shopping.  So I feel that a sling may be too cumbersome?

I also don't want to have to spend a lot of money on it/them, and then there is the argument against the use of supports, as they may weaken the area. 

Looking forward to members experience and advice in this area. 

Thanks.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @hEDgirl thanks for your query. I don't have experience in this area so I'm afraid I can't make a recommendation, but I have marked your post as unanswered which should help our members to advise you!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hEDgirl - ideally your physio should be able to advise. My GP referred me straight away to an orthotist to make thermoplastic backed wrist splints, one with thumb spica. Unfortunately, with also having hEDS, I couldn't work with them on, & I certainly couldn't write, as they caused bruising. My GP said then just use them when you're resting, which defeated the purpose as I wanted support to help me cook, do housework, etc. After that I tried a few neoprene splints with thumb support, but again difficult if trying to prepare veg for example. I ended up with just a simple adjustable wrap around on my wrist, which I only rarely now use.
    I have no experience with shoulder support, but would suggest looking for shoulder subluxation supports. There's a reasonably priced one here: https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/shoulder-supports/rem_sublux_cuff.html    which might be worth a try, yet one wonders why it's in the clearance section. As you have realised, supports are not always the best thing, & a Cochrane review in 2005 said there was inconclusive evidence to conclude whether supportive devices are of benefit in preventing shoulder subluxation, but this was in stroke patients:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6984447/
    If you have hypermobility problems of the fingers &/thumb, I can recommend silver ring splints. You can see about these here: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/64442/silver-ring-splints-to-stabilise-fingers-thumbs-helping-many-conditions

• hEDgirl
    @Alex_Scope

That was thoughtful of you. Hopefully I will get a variety of experience from members.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    You're welcome, and hopefully so @hEDgirl
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • hEDgirl
    @chiarieds Thank you for the links. 

I had a discussion with my original and very knowledgeable Physiotherapist.  She explained that it is best not to rely on them too much, to avoid weakening of the area.  So, with that in mind, I bought Physio Tape instead.  That was not a great idea. She said that, it was good at reminding you to be careful and aware of the area, and not overextend. Things are so slow here at the moment.  I still haven't heard from the Podiatrist, nor Pain management.

The next physio appointment is by phone at the end of January.  I am going to cancel it, as I will be visiting family in an area where I will not have a signal.

Apart from a bit of itchiness, it is near impossible to apply physio tape to yourself, especially to the shoulder. My long hair kept getting caught in it and even applying to the thumb to wrist was quite a struggle as it is my right arm I have most problems with. It's not hygienic on the hand either, unless it is changed every time you wash your hands, it gets wet.

Yes, I also want the support for when I am doing things and travelling & shopping, to prevent further subluxations.  My wrist pain/weakness is from my thumb, which went backwards and snapped many years ago. It has become more unstable and painful in recent years. 

I agree, the sublux cuff is on clearance for a reason. :smile: 

I think a silver ring finger splint might help my thumb, day to day, along with a cuff/wrap for my wrist.

Brightness