Worried about a universal credit appointment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried about a universal credit appointment

Options
bwj134
bwj134 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
I’m 19 and got my first UC appointment tomorrow at the job centre - 10.15am . I’m so worried about it I’ve asked to do it on the phone however they keep saying no even after I’ve explained I’m anxious and things... what can I say to get it changed? There’s so much going on in my life atm and just need them to cut me some slack .. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    When claiming UC you are a job seeker unless you're found to have limited capability for work. (LCW) If your health condition limits your capability to work have you reported the health condition onto your journal? If you haven't then you should do this and then send in fit notes from your GP. You will then be referred for the work capability assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    bwj134 said:
    I’m so worried about it I’ve asked to do it on the phone however they keep saying no even after I’ve explained I’m anxious and things... 
    they should be offering telephone appointments at the moment
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/work-coaches-to-continue-to-offer-telephone-interviews-where-claimants-do-not-feel-comfortable-or-safe-to-come-into-the-jobcentre
    However it’s likely too late to get an appointment set for you tomorrow changed in time.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks calcotti, that's good to know.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bwj134
    bwj134 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    calcotti said:
    bwj134 said:
    I’m so worried about it I’ve asked to do it on the phone however they keep saying no even after I’ve explained I’m anxious and things... 
    they should be offering telephone appointments at the moment
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/work-coaches-to-continue-to-offer-telephone-interviews-where-claimants-do-not-feel-comfortable-or-safe-to-come-into-the-jobcentre
    However it’s likely too late to get an appointment set for you tomorrow changed in time.
    Bearing in mind 3 of the people I live with have covid (which I also told them) and I told them I was anxious they said it has to be done in person, I just find it ridiculous 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi @bwj134 and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read how anxious you've been feeling about your UC appointment, it can feel quite daunting, especially for the first time. What is it about the appointment that's worrying you the most?

And can I ask, have you been able to test yourself for Covid at all? Are you experiencing any symptoms?

To help our members find your post, I've just moved it over into our UC category. If any other questions come up, please don't hesitate to ask.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 531 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,

They do the same with myself, I have autism and schizophrenia and get very bad social anxiety and voices when I'm outside and they refuse to give me a telephone appointment. I have to have someone with me when I go to the appointment. I am awaiting a work capability assessment and I have sent non stop fit notes in since may, I have explained to them multiple times that I don't like face to face appointments and it gives me anxiety but they just say that until I have an assessment I am classed as a job seeker and if I don't go to the appointments my claim will be stopped.

I know that your work coach can turn off these commitments but mine refuses too, and I've had to goto the jobcentre for the last 3 appointments and future appointments till I have an assessment.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience @rubin16 it's a shame to hear that your work coach is unwilling to turn off your commitments, even with the anxiety you experience. I'm glad to hear you have someone to go with you, I'm sure that helps a little. 

Is there a chance anyone is able to go with you @bwj134 if you don't test positive for Covid? If you do test positive, you'll need to let the job centre know as soon as possible.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.