A bit about myself — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A bit about myself

Options
Lisa82
Lisa82 Scope Member Posts: 202 Pioneering
Hi community

Thank you for your lovely welcome and I hope all are well. 

Apologies that my post to you may not reflect on everything you have said to me (I suddenly realized after responding; and it's something to do with the nature of my lifelong disabilities)

About myself:
I am almost 40 years old. I love going for local walks and doing some gardening (although not good at it) and I love animals. I love making new friends although am unable to too easily due to my disabilities I have been born with. I also watch You Tube videos and go on Instagram and Twitter, and occasionally Facebook. I have religious beliefs and use these platforms to teach people more about my beautiful religion and to say jokes in my dad's cause as he was a joker; he loved making people laugh all the time but he sadly passed away almost 2 years ago during the pandemic. He was like my child and me like his parent (although I couldn't care for him properly due to my own disabilities. I just did my best) due to him having an illness called Dementia Alzheimer's. Have you ever heard of it? 

So that's about me. Would you like to tell me about yourselves, too? 

I hope you found my post useful and thank you for reading it

Have a lovely safe evening 😊

Comments

• talea
    talea Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I am also new here. Sorry for your loss. My grandmother had dementia and my neighbour has it. I am trying to support him as best I can (my husband and I are) because he has no family at all but it's difficult as we have our own issues with two disabled children and my husband is ill (his illness apparently automatically confers disabled status according to the DWP but we have yet to figure out what that means)

Anyway, that was all just to say that I can relate in a small way to how hard it was for you to support your dad, dementia is a terrible illness and it's extremely hard on the family. 
  • Lisa82
    Options
    Hi @talea sorry to hear that your grandmother also had the illness and that your neighbor does.

That's very kind of you and your husband to support your neighbor especially with your own illnesses and disabilities having to contend to

Thank you for your understanding regarding my dad 

Have a lovely safe day and it was lovely to hear from you 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing more about yourself @Lisa82 I'm sorry to hear about your dad, and I have heard of Dementia Alzheimer's, it's a very difficult and sad thing to live with- for everyone involved. It was nice to hear he was a bit of a joker, that's a good thing to remember about him. 

It's also good to hear you like walking and gardening, even though you say you're not good at it! What's your favourite thing to do in the garden? 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Lisa82
    Options
    @Alex_Scope Thank you for your understanding and lovely message 

I hope you and your family are well 

My favorite thing to do in the garden is planting. However I haven't got to that yet as my mom has a allotment plot and it's organic and loads of brambles keep growing all over it 

It's really difficult to maintain unfortunately 

What are your hobbies and interests?

It was lovely to hear from you. Have a lovely evening 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That's alright, and we're all well thank you @Lisa82

Do you find the process of planting is what you enjoy, or seeing everything grow? I think both must be quite satisfying! I'm sorry to hear it's difficult to maintain though, I can imagine brambles can be quite stubborn and difficult to get rid of. 

I'm quite nerdy about a lot of things, but I'd say my top hobbies are gaming (I play on a PS5 mostly), and watching the tennis all year round, I've been a big fan since my teenage years :)

Hope you're enjoying the sun today!
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the community. I’m sorry to hear about your dad. Do you enjoy other outdoor activities, apart from walks, such as cycling ?
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Lisa82
    Options
    @Alex_Scope I'm so glad all are well.

I currently have an allergy to something. I often get allergies and I don't know what is causing them 

I love enjoying watching the plants grow more so; although I do enjoy both 

I also love watching the wildlife and love the fresh air especially when the heat of the sun combines with the breeze 🙂. It's VERY cold where I am, especially in the mornings and at night (I'm having to spend time under my blanket).

I hope you enjoy your games and watching the tennis. Is there a specific tennis team that you support?

I hope you have a lovely evening 

@poppy_ thank you for welcoming me to the community. I hope you are well. 

I would LOVE to ride a bike however due to balance issues I have never been able to ride one; I would need either a bike with stabilizers attached to it or a tricycle. My dad loved bikes. Whenever we would go somewhere local together and we saw a bike, he would go up to it and talk about it, and talk to the bike's owner. Do you ride a bike?

Have a lovely evening 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Lisa82

Thanks for posting and getting back to us.

currently have an allergy to something. I often get allergies and I don't know what is causing them 
    • I'm sorry to hear this, have you spoken with your GP about the alergies? They might be able to advise

I also love watching the wildlife and love the fresh air especially when the heat of the sun combines with the breeze 🙂. It's VERY cold where I am, especially in the mornings and at night (I'm having to spend time under my blanket).
    • Yes, it can be very cold at night this time of the year, but I tend to be chillier during the day. My hands are quite cold :D We have a really thick duvet so believe it or not I'm too warm at night more often than not

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisa82
    Options
    Hi @Ross_Scope I hope you are well and thank you for your reply 😊

Due to the Covid situation I haven't been able to go to the doctors unfortunately 

However, I have taken photos of my allergy hives/rashes, bloodshot eye, swellings etc ready to let them know. Thank you for your suggestion; hopefully I will be able to let the doctors know about my allergies soon.

I often feel chilly during the day and night (shivering under my blanket) even when the heating is on. I've been like that for months now and don't know why or if it's just the weather. My hand goes purple with it, too.

I hope you manage to stay warm during the day. I'm glad you are warm at night. 

Take care and have a lovely safe day. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Hello again @Lisa82

I enjoy watching quite a few different players from all over the world, but in team events I always side with team GB of course! 

I don't ride it now, but back in school for cycling proficiency I used an adult sized tricycle. It had a big basket between the two back wheels which was useful for storage. Maybe a tricycle is something you could look into?

I'm sorry to hear about the allergies you've been experiencing, that doesn't sound fun. I wonder if your doctors surgery allows for email consultations? At my surgery it's called e-consult, or perhaps you could ring and request a home visit? 

I'm worried hear how cold you've been getting too, do you have an electric blanket or an electric heater? I've found that both of those have helped me when I'm feeling very cold.
    Scope

• Lisa82
    Options
    Hi @Alex_Scope. It's lovely to hear from you again 

Thank you for letting me know more about your hobbies. 

That tricycle sounds lovely. I'm thinking of getting one with a basket, too. I wouldn't be able to cycle it on the road, though; due to my disabilities, it would be dangerous for me and others, too. I don't know whether the law would allow me to cycle it on the pavement or not 

Thank you for your advice on the doctors. I know they do telephone consultations at my doctor's surgery but don't know if they do email consultations too as I requested one recently for some medication review and they didn't get back to me about it. I'm glad you are able to do that at your doctor's practice.

I have a gas fire and some electric oil-filled radiators but not an electric blanket. Thank you for this. I might look into an electric blanket. I'm glad yours keep you warm. I tend to just use the gas fire. 

Take care and have a lovely safe day 
  • Sammac
    Sammac Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Hi. I am new hear as well. It sounds like you are really interesting and had a great relationship with your dad.
  • Lisa82
    Options
    Hi @Sammac

Thank you for interacting with me and welcome to this community 

I hope you and your family are well 

Thank you for your compliment. Me and my dad loved each other so much 💔💖

He was so charitable; even helping those he didn't know and so popular. Even when he had Dementia Alzheimer's he was still very sociable with everyone he met and him believing people loved him in the community really helped him a lot. He would say to me that people had told him what a lovely man he is 

He loved making people laugh even prior to his Dementia diagnosis. It was a part of his character and something genetic in his side of the family as I have discovered 💖. I'm just so glad I got to be with him the last 5 years of his life. He has definitely been a great example to me and left behind a lot of goodness I can continue in his cause 

What bought us even closer to each other was the fact that we had a lot in common with each other

What are your hobbies and interests?

It was lovely to connect with you 

Have a lovely safe evening 

Brightness