Me and my career were told I can't use my blue badge as nothing wrong — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Me and my career were told I can't use my blue badge as nothing wrong

Ashvinney
Ashvinney Community member Posts: 161 Courageous
I am so upset we were waiting before I could go shopping as my old blue? badge had run out so my new one come in today,  so we  did rapid covid19 test  it was negative before anyone as anything  to say  I,  go for my monthly shopping ,  my career drives my car and I have a electric chair in back of  it  cut long story short , we went to park in blue badge parking when a old guy come over have in a go saying we had no right to park  move . my career WA's trying to not get upset and told him that don't judge a book by its cover. She got me out the van with my chair and he went red faces and walk away  its so bad that they only think its for older people , made  me fell just to send it back so I don't get judge ,
Ajones 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry this happened but don't let ignorant people stop you from using your badge as long as you have the badge it is nobody business to question your eligibility to use disabled spaces 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @Ashvinney

I'm really sorry that you had to experience this and I can imagine that it was frustrating and upsetting. 

Please try and remember that you have every right to use the badge, when and where appropriate and unfortunately, some individuals aren't aware of how their comments might impact others. This doesn't make it right at all and I know how horrible it can be, when you're on the other end of someone else's poor behaviour. 

We are here for you if you need to have a rant or share your experiences. We will always listen to your concerns :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Hi, I'm sorry you had to experience this, I've had to experience something similar when using the accessibility toilets so I know its not nice. People really need to learn that not to judge a book by its cover and not jump to conclusions.

• Ashvinney
    Thank for you're reply its so upset when , when people judge when they don't know u . not all disabled peoples disabilities you can see its rude and it upset my career witch I felt bad for , 
    Ajones 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Ashvinney,

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, I've had similar things happen to me when I've parked with my blue badge, and it does feel unsettling and judgmental, but always remember: At the end of the day it's their problem, and their attitude to change- nothing to do with you.

You are entitled to use your blue badge and go about your daily life in the way you want. Their reaction probably comes from a lack of awareness or ignorance, and is not a reflection on you. 

Let us know if you need anything, and I'm glad to hear your covid test was negative too.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ashvinney
    Yes I get tested evey time I go out when I come , thank u for the replay felling little better but still  can't believe the way older people can be 
    Ajones 
  • Ashvinney
    edited January 2022
    >:) Thanks for all you're  replays  
    Ajones 
  • Ashvinney
    Yes my career was trying to help me out the back off the car and the guy was. They but she carried when  way got to the shops I felt bad that she got though that me I was going to get out the van and tell him to move but she told me to leave it alone its not worth it
    Ajones 
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    This reminds me when I was looking for a disabled drivers space at my local Sainsburys. I spotted the last one available and as I drove there to park a car came up and put his vehicle in there. OK I can accept that as first come first served and all of that. It's what happened next. Two young lads (with no Blue Badge in sight) got out knowing what they had done. They came up to me and laughed telling me to get in my F****** wheel chair!
    Not happy 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Sadly people do judge others, thats their problem we should just ignore them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds awful @racyguy, I'm sorry to hear it. One of my favourite coping strategies for those situations is to remember to be grateful that I don't know the individuals involved personally.  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ashvinney
    RACY GUY 

I am sorry you had to go though that , it's ignorant s I have not used my blue badge as it upset me have in to go though that , I know I have every right but it upsets  me when people judge with out knowing what your disability is because it's not always visible with disabled people I'm really sorry that you had to go through that them guys were very rude they had no right to do that and they should be reported for it
    Ajones 
  • Ashvinney
    I am sorry for my spelling as I am dyslexic , so my writing is not very good 
    Ajones 
  • Ashvinney
    My career said the same it's just made me anxious now when we use it , can't believe how rude some people can be , just no need for it , when we use it today I had a panic attack where I got so anxious , so now I don't want to go shopping , order can be done on line 
    Ajones 
  • GSDjane
    GSDjane Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    I am sorry you had this experience. Often been informed not disabled I have agrophbia 30yrs due to childhood and being battered woman. Scared of outside fear outside. Carers comes everywhere I go even stayed 11 days whilst had tumour removed, hence why after 35 yrs cannot move.  Due to 6 ft from windows drinking live bands stopping sleep healing from brain surgery so frightened it will return lack of rest… not only me, but Southwark council making easy money no monitoring the alcohol venues way behaviour children trying to rest for school 😢
  • Ashvinney
    sorry to hear you go though that Evey day , my anxiety go though the roof when my career wants to take me shopping 
    Ajones 

Brightness