Permitted Work ESA Support Group — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permitted Work ESA Support Group

CelticGaz
CelticGaz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello All I’m a Newbie and I have a complicated question to ask please, hoping to get some help. OK my wife and I are on ESA and in a support group. I am her carer and get CA.

I am able bodied and would like to do some permitted work to get out of the house for my mental health. How much am I allowed to earn? I’ve been previously told £20 per week but can’t find any information on this it’s too confusing 

TIA

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    It will depend on who's name the claim is in, if it's yours then you will need to make sure you work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £143/week. Although because you're claiming carers allowance you must make sure than you don't earn anymore than £128 per week.
    If it's your wifes ESA claim then you will only be allowed to earn £20 per week. If it's her claim do you know if any part of her ESA is Contributions based? or is it all Income Related?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CelticGaz
    CelticGaz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Ah well that confirms what I’ve been told, it is my wife’s name on the claim and I believe it’s income related as we get free prescriptions 

Thank You 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @CelticGaz

I'm glad @poppy123456 could answer your question, is there anything else that we can help with today? :) 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    CelticGaz said:
    Ah well that confirms what I’ve been told, it is my wife’s name on the claim and I believe it’s income related as we get free prescriptions 

Thank You 

Yes at least part of it would be Income related but if part of it is Contributions based then she will get to keep that £114.10 per week and then your earnings will not affect it. She should ring them to find out what exactly her claim is made up of.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    CelticGaz said:...it is my wife’s name on the claim and I believe it’s income related as we get free prescriptions 
    That means that at least some of it is income related. It could be all income related or it could be a mix of contribution based and income based. If your wife cannot tell from her award letters she would need to ring ESA to find out (if she wants to know).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.