Supporting partner with autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supporting partner with autism

Options
Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I am 35 and have a partner who has autism. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who is in a similar situation. ❤️
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for posting @Tammyjane33, and for telling us a bit about your situation. 

I'd be interested to hear from other members whether they have any insight or experience to share here. 

how is your partner managing with his autism?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tammyjane33

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out. 

I am not currently in a similar situation but I have been previously. I am autistic myself and I have also been in a relationship with someone with autism. 

Do you have any particular questions you would like to ask?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Options
    @L_Volunteer thank you, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience having a relationship with someone who was autistic. If you ever need to talk I'm here 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi @Tammyjane33 :)

Thank you for your question - I don't have personal experience of dating anyone with autism, however, I think this article could be quite useful for you. The article is written by an individual with autism and they are giving their perspective on relationships and dating etc :) 
    It might be able to offer some insight from their perspective too and help answer some of your questions. I hope it helps and if you have any other questions, please let us know :)

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tammyjane33

Yeah, I do indeed have personal experience with being in a relationship with someone with autism. It had its ups and downs, just like any other relationship. I think the most important thing to remember is that everyone with autism is different and identifying their strengths, interests, and triggers is a key part of that. I am always here for you too if you need anything!   :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness