Chronic IBS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic IBS

Options
Suz41
Suz41 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2022 in Work and employment
Good morning. Is there anyone who suffers with IBS? I’m having problems with my employer as they are refusing to take me off the phones. I have applied to be a Contractual Homeworker and I am currently waiting for a decision although I feel this will be rejected. I first asked them about how I would go about being a permanent homeworker in June 2021 and I have still not received a decision. It has affected my mental health and caused me to be extremely stressed and anxious which has flared up my conditions and I am currently on sick leave because of my employer. Thank you Suzanne 
Tagged:

Comments

• JaneC_
    JaneC_ Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    Hi Suzanne, 
    Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry to hear you are having such difficulties. Thanks for posting about this and how you feel. Are you getting any help or support for your stress and anxiety?

I don’t have IBS but have similar problems so empathise with the difficulties this presents. And the stress of getting the right support, which can makes symptoms worse.

I’ve had reasonable adjustments and helped someone else with IBS who was a secretary/receptionist using the phone a lot. It might be worth thinking about whether there are other ways to help you manage the difficulties your IBS presents for you to be able to do your job. 

Have they recognised that you need help and offered any way to help you? If so have they/you had any input from Occupational Health? 

They should have provided reasons for not removing you from telephones and considered what reasonable adjustments they can make if you are covered by the Equality Act. You may then be able to challenge the decision.

6 months is a very long time for a decision. You could write and ask for a decision and explain that the delay is affecting you. 
    They should have a standard for how long they take to make such decisions.

If you are a member of a union, they could help you get the right support.

Please know we are here for you, listening to you, and will try to help! 😊

Take care 😊

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Suz41

Welcome to the community, thanks for posting about your situation and I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through.

This is a very supportive and welcoming place so I'm sure you'll enjoy getting involved, Feel free to have a browse of our Work and Employment category as you might find it useful to read some of the other discussions.

Have you made these requests as reasonable adjustments?

If your employer rejects your request for reasonable adjustments or aren't being overly responsive, try to discuss this with your manager. If that does not work, you may have to take a more formal approach. You need to:
    • understand why your employer has rejected your request or isn't responding
    • negotiate to get what you need
    • be prepared to challenge discrimination
    Scope have an information page here that contains more on this subject.

Sorry to hear that it is impacting your mental health, it must be quite a stressful situation.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Suz41
    Suz41 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I have had two Occupational reports which state that if management can’t take me off the phones then it will cause regular sick absences. I’m covered under the Equity Act 2010. I have a letter from my doctor saying I need to be a home worker. The reasonable adjustment is for me to make outbound calls only. They can sit me close to a toilet but can’t guarantee that one would be available if I urgently need it. They have said that I need to go into the office once a week. I have asked them to send off the Contractual Homeworker application. I am currently seeking legal advice as I believe I am being discriminated against. My manager keeps telling me that it’s an office based organisation but they have the guidance and application form for people to complete to be Contractual Homeworker’s. I am in touch with a union rep. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sounds like you're taking the right steps @Suz41, keep us updated with how things go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

If you need a hand with anything in the meantime, please do let us know :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness