Is it a good thing that I am having a paper assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it a good thing that I am having a paper assessment?

Butterfliess
Butterfliess Community member Posts: 62 Connected
edited January 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hey,

I sent my reassessment forms back August, on Thursday I had a call
from a nurse at DWP, she said she needed to ask me a few questions but it was not an assessment. I was taken by complete surprise as it was not expected. She informed me that I was going to be assessed by my paper form sent back and I guess the few questions she asked me. I then received a text today saying that DWP have received my report and would write to be when they had made a decision. 
Is this a good thing that they are going of my paper form? It’s never happened before I always have a F2F. 
I’m really worried loosing pip will result in me loosing my ESA ect.

many thanks,

Comments

• Butterfliess
    @Username_removed

Gather I just wait and see now, thank you. ☺️
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I wish you the best of luck for the outcome @Butterfliess,  let us know how you get on :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Butterfliess
    Thank you @Ross_Scope

is anyone able to tell me if the outcome of pip is going to affect my ESA claim and potentially bring on an assessment? This worries me greatly.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Butterfliess said: is anyone able to tell me if the outcome of pip is going to affect my ESA claim and potentially bring on an assessment?
    It will not.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Butterfliess
    @calcotti
    Thank you for answering really appreciate it. ☺️
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    I'm glad @calcotti could answer your query @Butterfliess :) do you have any other questions that we might be able to help with today?
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Butterfliess
    @Libby_Scope

No, as always you have all been great thank you so much ☺️
  • calcotti
    calcotti said: It will not.
    The answer I gave this morning should have been a bit more forthcoming. I should probably have said “In general it will not, occasionally DWP may use the decision on one to affect the other but this is not usual or common”.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Butterfliess
    @calcotti

oh, ok I see would I still require a reassessment of ESA if that was to be the case? Or would my assessment of pip be used for ESA? Im so worried I may loose pip this time which of course could result in me loosing my ESA.
  • calcotti
    Butterfliess said: oh, ok I see would I still require a reassessment of ESA if that was to be the case? Or would my assessment of pip be used for ESA? Im so worried I may loose pip this time which of course could result in me loosing my ESA.
    You really shouldn't worry about it. That's why I get my initial response so brief but yesterday evening I thought it should acknowledge that it does sometimes happen. However it is rare so don't worry about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Sometimes being refused PIP can affect other benefits. For example if you claim Severe disability premium in your ESA or if you have non dependants living with you and you claim housing benefit/housing element of UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Butterfliess
    @poppy123456

I Live with my partner who works, we have a join claim on UC to which we do get the housing element. Does that mean if I loose pip we will loose that?
    I do not receive the severe disability premium in my ESA. I was previously told in the past that PIP was separate to any of my other benefits but I know things change and I am now increasingly worried that loosing pip is going to obviously cause a lot of trouble for me.
  • poppy123456
    Your ESA will be New Style ESA so the disability premiums are not payable on this or UC. PIP and other benefits are separate but there are some benefits that are linked, like non dependant deductions. Also there would be the carers element of UC if your partner claims that for looking after you because you need to in receipt of daily living PIP for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Butterfliess
    @poppy123456
    ahh I see, we do not claim any carers elements ect and we have no non dependent living with us, it’s just my partner and I.

Thank you for your help, I find the
    system hard to get my head around and confusing at times 😂
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2022
    Yes, it's very confusing. If you're currently in receiving daily living PIP and your partner looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then can claim the carers element for looking after you. They don't need to claim Carers Allowance to be able to claim this and there's no earnings limit like there is with Carers Allowance.
    It will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £163.73 per month. To claim it they would need to report a change onto their journal and then the element will be added to your claim.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.