PIP but no assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP but no assessment

lowe
lowe Community member Posts: 5 Connected
edited January 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everybody I’m new to the group and luckily found you all by accident. I applied for PIP last September and I’ve received the standard letter saying they have all information and are now deciding if I qualify. My concern is that I haven’t had an assessment of any kind, is this usual?

Thank you :)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Whilst the majority of people do have an assessment, there are some who have paper based assessments. It’s rare for people to have these but definitely possible. I can only see that as a good thing. 
    Of course there’s nothing you can do until a decisions been made, which can take anything between 2-12 weeks. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lowe and welcome to the forum. I hope poppy has helped to reassure you, and do keep us up to date with how your PIP application goes. 

To help everyone find this discussion more easily, I've moved it into our PIP category. Do feel free to take a look around the forum if you'd like, you can browse our categories page. 

If you need anything further, just let us know :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • lowe
    Thank you to you both! I realise it’s just a matter of waiting now  and I will keep you updated. I’m just hoping not having an assessment won’t hinder the decision.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Hi, how are you today? When I applied for PIP, I didn’t go for an assessment, so it is possible, even if it’s the minority of cases. My evidence was backed up by the physio I had at the time, so i wasn’t requested to go for an assessment. I can’t imagine that it would hinder the decision. 
    I hope this helps
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• lowe
    Thanks @Poppy_ I’m ok thank you. It’s good to hear that you didn’t have to have an assessment. It’s the first time I’ve claimed for this so it’s a little nerve wracking at first and hear many people get rejected. I’m not the best at completing forms either so fingers crossed.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're reading internet forums or indeed facebook then yes you're most likely to hear all the bad stories because if someone's had a decision they're happy with, we don't hear their story because they have no questions to ask. The majority of people claim successfully, with no problems at all.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sillymoo007
    Sillymoo007 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    My son had a paper based assessment. It was 8 weeks from Application to award. He was transferring from DLA to PIP though. I had myself nearly away in the head with stress reading all the awful stories. What a waste of my time. When it came to it,it was a smooth process,I had zero interaction at all with DWP. I posted application with evidence then they responded 8 weeks later with an award. Good luck x

• lowe
    Thanks everybody that’s great to hear. You’re all right, people only tend to shout about bad experiences. I don’t know why it’s got me anxious but I’ll continue to wait as I have done. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    I'm glad to see you're feeling reassured @lowe

Do let us know how you get on as and when you here more, and I hope you can enjoy the sunshine from somewhere warm today :)
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• lowe
    Thank you to everybody that responded. Good news I thought I’d share- I was awarded PIP and received my payment and letter today ☺️
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news thanks for letting us know 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Congrats @lowe :) It's always good to hear positive experiences! I hope you're able to relax now.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Alex_Alumni
    That's fantastic @lowe I'm so pleased to hear! 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.