Access to Work rejected by Employer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Access to Work rejected by Employer

cpicking92
cpicking92 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2022 in Work and employment
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice. I was diagnosed with ADHD last year, have been in my job for just over 3 years. My psychiatrist suggested I should self refer to Access to Work to help with the struggles I face in the workplace.

I did this, had an assessment and received a report containing recommendations with reasons behind each. I was told today that HR have decided they cannot 'justify' the £1000 contribution because there haven't been any performance management issues while I've worked there. 

I'm really quite upset and disappointed about this. There has been no consideration of the struggles I go through to make sure there aren't any performance issues. 

I'm not sure what I'm hoping for here really, but any advice or support would be much appreciated. 
Tagged:

Comments

• cpicking92
    Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. It's a little difficult to summarise as the report was quite lengthy but I'll try.

Disability Impact Training - to help me understand how my adhd impacts me at work
    Coping Strategy Sessions - to help me identify tools and techniques that can help with my struggles with concentration, time management and working memory.
    Noise Cancelling Headphones - to reduce distraction levels due to a very busy and loud working environment (will aid concentration). 
    Voice Recorder - so I can concentrate in meetings without having to multitask i.e.taking notes and missing half of what is said (will aid concentration and working memory). 
    Otter AI software - to record/transcribe online meetings (will aid concentration and working memory). 
    MicroBreak - software to help me refocus when distracted/remind me to take a break when I'm hyperfocusing (will aid with time management and mental wellbeing).

Basically - I can do my job without these things. But I am at a serious disadvantage to my colleagues and have to work much harder to produce the same output. I suffer with stress and anxiety constantly (caused by living with undiagnosed adhd for nearly 30 years) and these recommendations would allow me to do a better job with less stress and anxiety. 
  • cpicking92
    The report from A2W did go into the reasons why each thing was recommended. I completely agree though, I would happily self fund/go without some of these things.

The main ones for me are the impact training and coping strategy sessions. Unfortunately those cost just over £1000 each so if they're not willing to pay the £1000 contribution then I'm stuck. Even if I were to find cheaper alternatives, it's not going to come to less than £1000 in total for both, so I'm still in the same situation. 
  • cpicking92
    Okay, I will do that so at least I'm seen to be trying!

Do you know if the fact they're rejecting it based on me not having any performance issues is acceptable? 
  • JaneC_
    JaneC_ Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 21 Connected
    edited January 2022

Do you know if the fact they're rejecting it based on me not having any performance issues is acceptable? 
    @cpicking92
    Sorry to hear you are having such difficulties getting reasonable adjustments. I’m afraid in my experience it’s not uncommon and can be quite stressful and I’d advise keep going 😊. Take care and I hope you’ve got some support. 

In short, No it’s not acceptable to reject on the basis of no performance issues!

As @Username_removed previously pointed out - you’ve said you need these because:
    “I am at a serious disadvantage to my colleagues and have to work much harder to produce the same output. I suffer with stress and anxiety constantly … and these recommendations would allow me to do a better job with less stress and anxiety.” 

A key part of the argument is due to the effects of disabilities, you are having to work harder to produce the output AND this adds to your stress and Anxiety. 

I’d suggest you push back on this. Reasonable adjustments are to help put you in an equal position to your colleagues. They could of course consider reducing the output required from you as an adjustment.

best wishes 

• Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Hi, how are you today?
    I would keep trying for your adjustments, as even though these are costly, they do help, as you have previously mentioned. I would mention to your employers that these adjustments help you to work to the best of your ability, and work alongside you colleagues. I would also mention the Equality Act 2010 to them, as this legislation mentions that employers have to make the workplace accessible to you, which is what the adjustments help with, it is not dependent on how efficient you work. I have copied a link for you, to a file that includes the information about what your employers must provide for you. 

I hope this helps
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

Brightness