APPLYING FOR PERSONAL INDEPENDENCE PAYMENTS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

APPLYING FOR PERSONAL INDEPENDENCE PAYMENTS

geek84
geek84 Scope Member Posts: 98 Courageous
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi Folks

I suffer from hemiplegia which is closely related to cerebral palsy.  I wish to apply for  personal independence payments, but have no idea of how to do it.

Has anyone gone through the process and can provide any guidance?

Thank You

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    the first point to remember is that  PIP is paid for daily living and or mobility issues that you may have not for specific illnesses or conditions, there is a points system (link below), and also new claims can take anything upto 10 months at the moment due to the number of claims.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    First you need to be aged between 16 and state pension. PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.
    Before applying you should first check that you qualify. See link. https://pipinfo.net/ Or you can get some expert advice from an agency near you. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/
    The quickest way to apply is to ring DWP/PIP. See link. https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geek84 thanks for your question, I've moved it into our PIP category so that it's easier to find. 

Scope has information on the steps you need to take as well, but I hope you find our members advice helpful too.

Let us know if you're unsure about anything else, we're here to help :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • geek84
    Many thanks folks
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geek84 - just to add to the info above, try keeping a diary for a week or so before completing a PIP claim. You can send this, or just keep it for reference when completing the form. Just do a few questions at a time, & you can always add extra pages at the end, putting your name & National Insurance number on each page.

You should give a couple of recent, detailed examples as to the difficulty you face for each applicable descriptor, i.e. when did it happen, where, what happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing an activity?

Say if you can't do an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without a disability.

You can also ring the PIP enquiry line on 0800 121 4433 to ask for extra time to complete the form, & you will be given another 2 weeks without question. Keep a copy of everything, & get a free Certificate of Posting from your Post Office when sending the form off.

• geek84
    Thanks chaiarieds.

Can I complete the form online and do it a page or question at a time?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I believe if you get the opportunity to do your claim form online, then there will be the ability to save it as you go through. It's just too much to do all at once!
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I think I remember reading they were expanding the use of online forms too recently although don’t quote me on that. I do believe though that they are only offering it still on a selective basis so you won’t be guaranteed the online version. As @chiarieds says though, if you do get the opportunity you should be able to save as you go. 
  • geek84
  • geek84
    Sorry Mike you've lost me there
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    geek84 said:
    Sorry Mike you've lost me there
    Not sure what isn't clear.
    The electronic PIP 2 has been routinely offered to anyone who makes the PIP 1 phone call since the 6th of December. In theory it’s capped at 1,000. In reality that’s enough to ensure that anyone who wants one can have one.
    Everybody who applies for PIP for themselves should now be offered the opportunity to do it online of they wish. People applying as an appointee on behalf of someone else will still have to complete a paper form.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • geek84
    Oh I see  .....  thanks for that
  • geek84
    Hi Folks

Many thanks for your responses, so far.  I have read the descriptors and trying to adapt my answers, which I have written down in rough.

I rang Scope earlier on today in the hope of getting help in order to sort out my answers to the individual questions.  However, the chap who I spoke to just read straight out from the application form and I didn't find that helpful at all.

Usually, Scope have been quite helpful to any queries I had in the past.

So at the moment, I'm none the wiser and still need help completing the PIP form !!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    We can't physically help you fill out the form because we don't know exactly how your conditions affect you. We can only give you general advice on the things you should include. If further advice is needed and you need help to actually fill out the forms then you will need to speak to an advice agency near you. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • geek84

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.