Pip issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip issues

jHansell
jHansell Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all,

I'm Jon I am fairly new to all this, and wondered if anyone had any advice, I Applied for pip back march last year, to then go through all the hoops to get told I'm not eligible just before Xmas, even though my local authority have noted my disability and issued me a blue badge,

I wish I had disputed it back then, just wasn't the most confident person to dispute it, especially as I got no points at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
As I am contemplating re-applying again. 

Many thanks
Jon

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    You care within 13 months so you can still request a Mandatory Reconsideration if you wish. If DWP refuse to accept the MR you can appeal the original decision to the tribunal service. See if you can get help https://advicelocal.uk
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jHansell
    Thank you both for the quick replies, I will get an MR form filled in right away, hopefully they act on the Mr, if not is the tribunal route easy? 
  • jHansell
    Evening all, I am still repeatedly hitting a dead end with pip, anyone know if there is anything else I can claim for instead? As the constant nock backs from pip are just making me even more depressd.

Many thanks
    Jon
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    jHansell said:
    Evening all, I am still repeatedly hitting a dead end with pip, anyone know if there is anything else I can claim for instead? As the constant nock backs from pip are just making me even more depressd.

Many thanks
    Jon

PIP is the only disability benefit available for working age people. Did you request the Mandatory Reconsideration and then Tribunal as advised last year? Or did you reapply? You mention "constant knock backs" how many times have you applied and have you ever requested the MR followed by Tribunal?
    You can have a disability but not qualify for PIP because if you don't fit the descriptors you won't score the points needed for an award.
    Having a blue badge doesn't automatically mean you qualify for PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jHansell
    Hi poppy,

Thanks for the quick response, I did a Mr back last year, of which I had a telephone consultation again with someone senior from pip, where they asked a couple, different questions. Then I had to wait for the verdict again. Which was the same as previous. 

I haven't tried the tribunal route yet, as to be honest I don't have the spare money for court fees. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    jHansell said:
    I haven't tried the tribunal route yet, as to be honest I don't have the spare money for court fees. 
    There are no fees involved in a tribunal.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jHansell
    calcotti said:
    jHansell said:
    There are no fees involved in a tribunal.
    Oh I didn't realise that, I just pressumed as it was to do with the courts it would cost.  I will try that next then. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    A tribunal as regards PIP, is just a judge, often a Dr, & someone who has some understanding of disability issues. After a MR, which is the first stage in an appeal, then you can proceed to a tribunal. There is absolutely no cost in doing this, as it's nothing to do with a court, nor fees.
    All that happens is that the 3 members of the tribunal will listen to you, & form a decision at absolutely no cost to yourself.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    A Tribunal is not a court. Some hearings may take place in a court building but it's nothing at all like a court and you're not on trial.
    To constantly reapply using the same evidence you previously used is likely to see constant refusals.
    When was the decison made on that Mr and have you reapplied since that MR decision?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you've been able to get some advice and support on this @jHansell :) 

As you've mentioned feeling even more depressed due to your PIP trouble, I just wanted to check in to see whether you feel as though you're receiving enough support for your mental health at the moment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.