Hi, I'm Jaydenlogan15! Does anyone with Hypothyroidism get PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Jaydenlogan15! Does anyone with Hypothyroidism get PIP?

Jaydenlogan15
Jaydenlogan15 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hypothyroidism and anyone with it who got award pip I’m waiting got accessment letter 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jaydenlogan15 - I also have hypothyroidism + other issues. Just to say that PIP isn't about any diagnosis, rather how this impacts on activities/descriptors of daily living &/mobility.
    It may be useful for you to have a look at the 'descriptors.' Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf  Please also read the notes at the end.
    I was awarded PIP, but as no 2 people with the same disorder(s) are the same, it will be how hypothyroidism might show exactly how this disables you. To be honest, as my GP prescribes medication that controls this, that in itself doesn't disable me (rather other disorders I have), but your condition may be more severe. Hope this helps, & please do come back with any more questions. :)

• Jaydenlogan15
    I can’t do much now. My health’s got alful the last two years after Graves’ disease and rai developed hypothyroidism few symptoms here’n there’s have so many now my mum dad have to come daily to me to cook n wash my back n hair as I can’t raise my arms hi it’s been terrible too fatigue to do anything I not got skin picking disorder anxiety low moods depression insomnia full time with this has killed in always at home now near my
    bed on on my bed this condition can be ok for some for a while n creeps up like it did me had it 9 years now.  It’s dry skin can’t sleep Coz of it can’t cook as I forget n burn dinners so unsafe I sent my documents  off with hood back up medical from hosp gp my two councillors n cbt onn waiting list for in few months text said we may call u up fir assessment the may part  in the letter is confusing I thiugggt every had to have a assessment but saying that my two friends didn’t they got award with out one.  Any tips of how long u wait now had the text on 30/12 21
  • Jaydenlogan15
    Do u mind me asking if u got the two mobility n daily living.  Yes I have many other linked stuff due to the hypothyroidism it’s made me like someone I don’t recognise any more it makes me more down no confidence either 
  • chiarieds
     Hi @Jaydenlogan15 - I don't mind you asking at all. I got the standard rate for the daily living component, & the enhanced rate for mobility. As I mentioned, no 2 people are the same, & I have chronic pain the moment I'm upright due to neurological problems, & have painful joints due to being hypermobile, which has also led to osteoarthrosis. I'm able to do most things but it takes me much longer, & my mobility is restricted so on the odd occasion I go out (before Covid-19) I use elbow crutches.
    Having Grave's disease will have affected you differently, & I'm sorry it has impacted you so badly. As far as PIP goes, it's usual to have an assessment, but, as you've found, with some people the assessor feels they have enough evidence, so a paper assessment is done instead. Unfortunately it can take time (expect months) before you get an assessment at the moment.
    Please do join in on the community. Many people are finding it difficult due to the lockdowns, but find it can help chatting to other members. Try our 'Coffee lounge' where we have discussions about many different topics, as well as having word games. You can also just chat here any time. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jaydenlogan15 and welcome to our online community.

I hope @chiarieds answers have helped in relation to your PIP questions.  

You mentioned that you have a "skin picking disorder anxiety low moods depression insomnia" and I wondered if you felt like you needed additional support for this?  Are you under the care of a local mental health team or seeing your GP regularly?  If you can let us know a bit more about your situation, we'd love to help.

Just to make you aware, I've moved your post to our PIP, DLA and AA discussion board and tweaked the title to make it easier to spot.  

Take care and hopefully speak soon :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Jaydenlogan15 -  I probably should have also mentioned this 'just in case you haven't already come across it......' as a useful resource about Grave's disease. Please see: https://thyroiduk.org/hyperthyroid-basics/graves-disease/?v=79cba1185463    It 'may' shed light on perhaps 'itchy skin,' feeling anxious, a lowering of mood, difficulty sleeping, & muscle fatigue. As Cher mentions, are you seeing your GP regularly? Perhaps they can help, as your disorder could cause problems with all of these things, & I think it would be a good idea to discuss these with your GP, explaining the difficulties you've been facing.

• Jaydenlogan15
    edited January 2021
    I no longer have Graves they rushed me in after thyroid storm n done RAI so I’m hypothyroidism which the symptoms r all what I said on my post the skin picking is two years ago started has really taken away my confidence due to scars marks plasters infections it’s horrible but  I regularly see gp some pll r fine no symptoms or barely any with hypo or u have them all ur bloods come back up and done I’ve lost hair no sleep  body is just really (Removed by moderator, profanity) mother to twins nearly 21 I’m only 47 irs made my life so (Removed by moderator, profanity) I don’t see no way out I don’t want sleeping tablets all the time anti depressants which don’t  agree with me n can only have a certain few due to interaction with Levothroxine medication  I have Coumcillor’s n waiting for CBT nothing more than just got to put up with the extreme fatigue which is alful I work time n it’s killing be any good energy which is 0% is taken at work   Nothing left fir the boys cooking washing my hair hurts so my mum does it all n dad I’m too tired to do it ?thank u all fir support 
  • Jaydenlogan15
    Also ppl underactive hypo have a decrease in sweat so
    our skin suffers then on top the skin picking 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi @Jaydenlogan15 and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling so much with these things, it doesn't sound easy. But you certainly have come to a very supportive and welcoming community.

You didn't address this directly above, so I'm curious if you are currently under the care of your local authority in some way? Whether that be through your local social care team or a mental health support worker? 

You mention seeing your GP, and I hope this helps you, I'm just wondering if you have any further support in place.

I have just sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, feel free to give it a read and get back to us :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Jaydenlogan15
    Thank u so
    much 
  • Ross_Alumni
    No worries @Jaydenlogan15, hope you're well today.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Jaydenlogan15
    Still tired but it’s something i
    To Try n except I think. Not being the old Emma I used to me I have GP but I feel they don’t want to know about thyroid what help can u offer me x 
  • Ross_Alumni
    It's a shame that you feel as though your GP isn't interested @Jaydenlogan15, requesting a new GP might work well for you. Alternatively have you explored what support the British Thyroid Foundation might be able to provide?

• Ross_Alumni
    Hi @Jaydenlogan15

Just wanted to check if everything is okay? :) 

• Jaydenlogan15
    Just to
    let you know I got awarded pip it’s been very stressful but glad it’s over thank you all 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Just to
    let you know I got awarded pip it’s been very stressful but glad it’s over thank you all 
    Brilliant news, thanks for the update :) 

• sarah333
    sarah333 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    @Jaydenlogan15 hya Jayden I see you was awarded pip , I’m in the same situation as you , very hard for them to award me also , how did you get this awarded in the end, I’m waiting surgery to get my thyroids removed and have similar symptoms to you,
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 3,601 Scope online community team
    Heya @sarah333 and welcome to the community. :)

This post is from 2021 and the user hasn't logged in since early 2022, so I'm unsure if you'll get a response.  How're you doing with your PIP process so far? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.