Power of attourney — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Power of attourney

Options
jovilove
jovilove Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. My daughter who is disabled will be 18 this weekend. 
I am her appointee, approved by DWP for her benefits etc.
I've looked on line but I can only find expensive solutions to arrange for me to be her POA..
I am age 64 and disabled. I Am Jen's Mum and Carer.
Any advice appreciated please.
Thank you.

Comments

• AFB
    AFB Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @jovilove
    I applied for power of attorney for my mother. I applied online and printed the application which then I got my mum social worker to sign it to show that my mum had no capacity to handle things. I signed the document and you could be exempt from paying the fee's if receiving certain benefits.
    Thanks 
    @AFB

• jovilove
    jovilove Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks @AFB I will havve a look online x
  • rigavitch
    rigavitch Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Options
    I'm having this issue also after a year of being sent around the bend!!!
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    jovilove said:
    I've looked on line but I can only find expensive solutions to arrange for me to be her POA..
    Thank you.
    Does your daughter have the capacity to apply for Power of Attorney? It is something she has to grant you, not something you apply for on her behalf.
    https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney
    If she lacks mental capacity then I think you have to apply to become her deputy
    https://www.gov.uk/become-deputy

Fees for the latter are more expensive but in both cases you may get help with theses depending on the financial circumstances.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rigavitch
    rigavitch Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Yes this seems to be the case. I have been trying for 6 years...cant get a straight answer and at the end of my tether! She's lived at home since March 2021 and yet council etc still pays to the home(Achieve Together) and leaves me without ANY support. She gets 10 hours 1-1 at the old care home but they only starting to offer me/her 12 hours a week. It's all too much!!
  • SteveE
    SteveE Community member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Options
    calcotti said:
    jovilove said:
    Thank you.
    Does your daughter have the capacity to apply for Power of Attorney? It is something she has to grant you, not something you apply for on her behalf.
    https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney
    If she lacks mental capacity then I think you have to apply to become her deputy
    https://www.gov.uk/become-deputy

Fees for the latter are more expensive but in both cases you may get help with theses depending on the financial circumstances.
    This is my understanding, too. The 'deputy' option is the only one for us as our son is not able to grant 'power of attorney'. Suggest you explore that option. We are (slowly) going down that route. Good luck!
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options
    jovilove said:
    Thank you.
    Hi jovilove, 

the link below will take you to the government website for public guardian 'how to make LPA online. 
    https://www.lastingpowerofattorney.service.gov.uk/home?_ga=2.154523704.1034064857.1645875235-1556813682.1630123993#/guide/topic-how-to-make-an-lpa-online

There is also some good examples in this mental capacity code of practice pdf 
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/921428/Mental-capacity-act-code-of-practice.pdf

It is difficult for handling another persons situation, in this case your child. You state your daughter turns 18 this weekend so officially an adult. Is why have included a link to code of practice pdf. As it takes you through the 5 main important steps. 
    Hope this helps in some small way. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wendy41 said:
    jovilove said:
    Thank you.

It is difficult for handling another persons situation, in this case your child. You state your daughter turns 18 this weekend so officially an adult. Is why have included a link to code of practice pdf. As it takes you through the 5 main important steps. 
    Hope this helps in some small way. 

The thread was started in May 2018 by jovilove so their daughter would be almost 22 now.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options

Brightness