DLA change of circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA change of circumstances

April2018mom
April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
I have finally found another apartment not far from where I live now. Both DS and DD are receiving DLA (LRC and HRM). My question is how do I notify the DWP of a change in our circumstances? Do I email or make a call? We are set to move in April. 
I’m going to try to contact them tomorrow morning after breakfast. Thanks. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It will just be a change of address and you need to ring DWP to do this, once you've moved. The same for all of the benefits you claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Is you change of circumstances a personal change or is it a change of address? If it's either it's best to phone having your personal details to hand, your NI number. New address and what your personal change of circumstances are. By phoning you will get all the help and advice you need.
  • poppy123456
    May i ask if you claim any other benefits, like housing benefit? if so, is it the same local council or a different one?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • April2018mom
    It’s a change of address. Thank you. I have another question how do I find the NI number? 
  • April2018mom
    And DLA is the only benefit I claim. Not eligible for carers allowance since we only claim the lower level of care for both children. 
  • poppy123456
    It’s a change of address. Thank you. I have another question how do I find the NI number? 
    If you're talking about your children and they're under 16 then they won't have one.
  • April2018mom
    Yes I am. 

And both DS and DD are 2. Thanks for the advice. I’ll call up after we move in April to see if they can help. How long does the whole process take? Do I need to send in additional paperwork or not? 
  • poppy123456
    It's just a quick phone call to change your address and that's it and will take just a few minutes to update the details. No paper work needed but you do need to wait until after you've moved.
  • April2018mom
  • julez39
    julez39 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi I have a question regarding my sons DLA claim , he currently gets low care for leg and back pain but recently been diagnosed with Athritic Sacroiliitis of lower spine and right back hip his daily needs has significantly changed due to this , I called for change of circumstances and they said they would send a form ? Is this just the same form I filled in the first time or is it a different form ? Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    julez39 said:
    Hi I have a question regarding my sons DLA claim , he currently gets low care for leg and back pain but recently been diagnosed with Athritic Sacroiliitis of lower spine and right back hip his daily needs has significantly changed due to this , I called for change of circumstances and they said they would send a form ? Is this just the same form I filled in the first time or is it a different form ? Thanks 

It will be the full form that you originally filled in.
  • julez39
    julez39 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Ok thank you poppy, 
  • poppy123456
    Do be aware that DLA is not about a diagnosis. You need to prove that your son needs more care and attention than a child of the same age that doesn’t have a disability. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    It's just a quick phone call to change your address and that's it and will take just a few minutes to update the details. 
    ... once you get through!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:
    It's just a quick phone call to change your address and that's it and will take just a few minutes to update the details. 
    ... once you get through!

Indeed that is true now but this thread is from 3 years ago and my comment then was from the same time and it may well have been very different back then.
    This is the problem of asking questions on old threads..
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    poppy123456 said:.. this thread is from 3 years ago 
    I didn’t notice that!
    This is the problem of asking questions on old threads..
    Agreed.
    (Not that I can ever recall it being quick to get through.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.