Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worrying about my telephone assessment

Options
smitch101
smitch101 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited June 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Really worrying and anxious about my pip phone assessment next week.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @smitch101 :) I'm sorry to hear you're so worried about your telephone assessment. Many people feel anxious in the lead up, so you're certainly not alone in how you're feeling!

Is there anything in particular that's making you feel nervous about it? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • smitch101
    Options
    It's taken me a long time to apply, frightened of showing what I go through when I'm at my lowest, thinking they (people in authority) won't believe me 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    That's understandable @smitch101. The assessor should be polite and treat you with respect, and allow you to take your time when answering difficult questions. You can tell them if you need a minute to think about your answer, or to collect your thoughts if you've shared something upsetting. Having a drink of water and a snack with you is also a good idea, as well as ensuring your phone is fully charged. 

Do you have a friend or family member who could be with you during the call, if that's something you'd find helpful?

• smitch101
    Options
    Yes my daughter will be with me 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    That's good @smitch101 :) Did you keep a copy of your forms?

• smitch101
    Options
    Yes they are saved on my laptop
  • Kendo861
    Kendo861 Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @smitch101 ,I felt exactly like you but try and stay calm, hopefully your asessor will be like mine and make you feel comfortable,and I found it ok,mine lasted 45 minutes,just try to tell them as it is@kendo861
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Great @smitch101 :) Some people find it helpful to read over their forms before the call, and jot down anything they particularly want to bring up or remember to mention. Do you think that could help settle your nerves a bit? 

• smitch101
    Options
    Yes I forgot that, thank you 
  • smitch101
    Options
    Just an update, my assessment went well. I had my son with me who was able to mention things that I didn't think of as he's sees my illness/disability from a different perspective and explained my difficulties much more in depth than I could.   I have been awarded both sections of pip.  I have now received a blue badge which I was able to use for the first time today, and it was so much easier not to have the extra worry of longer walking, avoiding stairs etc or just finding somewhere to rest whilst someone brings the car. 
    It is worth while going through the assessment, keep strong and be clear on how your disability affects your health. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thank you for the update @smitch101! That sounds like good news :) I'm sure that it'll help other members to feel more positive. 

Will you be doing anything this weekend to help you relax, as I can imagine that this has taken a weight off of your mind.

• smitch101
    Options
    I'm not doing anything in particular but just being able to sit in the garden without the constant propping/busiest of my mind doing overtime will be just fine 😌 

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    That sounds lovely @smitch101 :) What's the weather like where you are?

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.