Question about PIP delays — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question about PIP delays

Options
JamieT123
JamieT123 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi all, 
I began my claim for PIP in November of 2021, through my support worker. She has since left and I’ve not been reassigned a support worker yet. I called PIP 2-3 weeks ago (June 2022) and was told that I was sent back “to the end of the line” (the guys words) of the assessors list as they tried contacting me in march with no success (I assume as the support worker doesn’t work there anymore and correspondence was set to go to her). I told them the situation with my support worker and gave them my direct details. Fast forward to today, I get a text telling me I have been awarded pip and to wait for an award letter. Everything I’ve read says I will be back paid anything owed from “the day they received evidence supporting my claim”. However I’m concerned this blip in time because they couldn’t contact me will mess with that. The “to the end of the line” wording from the PIP helpline guy is making me wonder if the back payments will be made from when I called for this update, or from march when it was sent back. I understand my letter should be here in a few days however as I’m sure people can understand it’s put me on edge not knowing and my already fairly bad anxiety is feeling it, so any advice or similar stories at all would be helpful to me. Thanks if you read this far 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    JamieT123 said: Everything I’ve read says I will be back paid anything owed from “the day they received evidence supporting my claim”. 
    That isn't correct. You award will be paid from the date a phone call was first made to start the claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JamieT123 - & welcome to the community. If this is your first PIP claim, then this will be paid from the date you first phoned the DWP, which started your PIP claim (so from Nov 2021).
    Please be aware that when you ring the 'DWP' you're actually speaking to call centre handlers, who will try & help, but they're not advisors, so, are unfortunately often incorrect.
  • JamieT123
    Options
    I’m not sure how to directly respond, so sorry for that, but thank you both. This is reassuring :) 
  • JamieT123
    Options
    Hi @Jamie123 You can either put an @  before user name of member or you can use Quote shown on the bottom line. Take care.
    Wicked, thanks! You too
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done on a good outcome @JamieT123!
  • JamieT123
    Options
    Well done on a good outcome @JamieT123!
    Thank you! Have you any idea how long it takes from an award text to payment? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,454 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once payment is made it takes 3-5 working days to go into your bank. The decision letter will be received within the next couple of weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JamieT123
    Options
    Once payment is made it takes 3-5 working days to go into your bank. The decision letter will be received within the next couple of weeks.
    Cool, thanks for the info! Hopefully the text being sent out marks payment being sent too 
  • JamieT123
    Options
    Just thought I’d update for anyone looking through for an idea of my wait time; I got a text award Friday 17th and back payment today, weds 22nd. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for the update @JamieT123 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.