Pip award. Will the decision maker go with the report recommendations? How long for a decision? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip award. Will the decision maker go with the report recommendations? How long for a decision?

Rach1984
Rach1984 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi everyone I've recently helped my partner to apply for pip (due to a stroke in Jan 21)he had a telephone assessment on the 9th and I asked for a copy of the assessment I'm happily suprised that it was great and the points given were both enhanced on the point scale and a recommendation of a ongoing reward just wondering if the decision maker will go along with these recommendations or could they lower points and length of award, and how long people are waiting for decision at the moment I appricate all the replys I get thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    The assessor doesn't award points, they only make recommendations. Only a decision maker from DWP can award points.
    Mostly they do go with the report but it has been known for them to go against it. Timescales for decisions is between 2-12 weeks, sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rach1984
    Oh I see its just the report has the tick boxes so I researched how many points it was worth great thank you I appricate it 
  • poppy123456
    Yes the tick boxes are recommendations, which is why points are not added up in the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Rach1984
    OK thank you the nervous wait continues 😬
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Best wishes for your outcome @rach1984! Please do keep us updated :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
    They do go with the report most the time so hope it is the case for your partner <3 
  • Rach1984
    Bit of a update we got a text this am saying we have been awarded pip for hubby I'm thrilled hoping it's at least higher for daily living so I can get him his own carer to help help my daughters caseload if not we will use whatever it is to help give her some respite so she can go out and have some fun as at 21 thats what she should be doing but I will appeal it if not so I may be bugging u guys again lol thank you all so much I'll keep u updated on this but I'll stay to help any others I can xx
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad to hear your good news @Rach1984 and you are of course welcome to reach out for help and support if you would like to challenge the decision, it's not a bother at all. 

It's great to hear that you're looking to help other members too :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Rach1984
    OK I rang to find out the next payment as I'm a nervous nelly and it said July the 20th and it's the full enhanced on both amount which is amazing which means I got what I need to help get him some 1 on 1 care for him what happens with the back pay is that separate abit confused as it said next payment was July and it didn't include any back pay  and of course I'm happy to help others where I can thank u all so much xx
  • poppy123456
    Any money owed is always paid separately and usually goes into your bank before the decision letter is received.
    Have you ever referred him for a needs assessment? If you haven't then you may want to consider doing this because there could possibly be some help and support available to you both. https://www.gov.uk/apply-needs-assessment-social-services

• Rach1984
    Yes he has had a needs assessment luckerly the house is fully adapted due to me having Ms that was the only reason we got him home so fast but he refuses anyone but family to help him hense me wanting a male family member to be his carer for physical and personal needs but if he gets worse in future which is very possible as they discovered early onset dementia on scans we will reassess as needed is what the adult social worker said thank you for your reply I appricate it 
  • Rach1984
    Your welcome this claime was so much easier than my own so I understand how difficult it can be I was just lucky to get a good assessment person she was a nurse so knew alot about strokes and dementia and evan gave me some support resources that I didn't know about which she said wasn't what she normally does lol

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.