Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused.com! Cost of living paymet

Options
Floydiee1995
Floydiee1995 Community member Posts: 112 Courageous
So I was reading about the col payment criteria and I am confused as hell. I receive ESA (Contribution based) I know this does not entitle me to the payment but i receive UC as well.. I applied in January this year and this was the notification i got in my journal "The relevant period starts from the date in which the Limited ability was awarded from as they have awarded it from 27/01/2022 and the relevant period is due to end on the 26/4/2022."
My first payment was and remain the 5th of every month so was 5th June. 

I am confused as haven't receive the payment. Is this because i had a "nil payment up until 5th June". Or is it because i am in the support group for ESA therefor get the disability premium?

Thanks for reading and for any future advice and info!

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am confused as haven't receive the payment. Is this because i had a "nil payment up until 5th June".
    That's the reason. You were not entitled to a payment for an assessment period ending between 26th April and 25th May. On the plus side you will likely qualify for the second payment of £324 later in the year.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Floydiee1995
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I am confused as haven't receive the payment. Is this because i had a "nil payment up until 5th June".
    That's the reason. You were not entitled to a payment for an assessment period ending between 26th April and 25th May. On the plus side you will likely qualify for the second payment of £324 later in the year.
    Ahhh ok that makes sense now thank you very much! Although it's slightly annoying as has been awarded but my payment date is the 5th.. so missed out by a few days. 

At least I won't be confused now and get my loans deferred for 3 months as that's something DWP advised me if I don't receive it.

Thank you so so much for getting back to me!
  • calcotti
    Options
    Floydiee1995 said: Although it's slightly annoying as has been awarded but my payment date is the 5th.. so missed out by a few days. 
    In fact you only missed out by one day. The assessment period for which you received that payment on 5th June ended on 26th May whereas you needed it to end on 25th May to qualify. (Sorry if that's even more irritating!)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    How frustrating @Floydiee1995

How have you been coping with the cost of living crisis? I know we've all been finding it tough. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • Floydiee1995
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Floydiee1995 said: Although it's slightly annoying as has been awarded but my payment date is the 5th.. so missed out by a few days. 
    In fact you only missed out by one day. The assessment period for which you received that payment on 5th June ended on 26th May whereas you needed it to end on 25th May to qualify. (Sorry if that's even more irritating!)
    Indeed that is even more infuriating! :( It's a shame there is no way to appeal these sorts of things as its 1 day!! Considering I applied in January and was delayed due to me going through the work capability assessment. Meh, just got to move on. 
  • Floydiee1995
    Options
    How frustrating @Floydiee1995

How have you been coping with the cost of living crisis? I know we've all been finding it tough. 
    Hmmm infuriationg to be honest. The help for disabled people seems to be left out so to speak I feel. I dont really think its fair that people on LWCRA get pushed out because we get a bit more a month.. We need that extra money more than ever especially at the moment. I don't know im confused and stressed about it but just got reduce as much as I can and save as much as I can! Good thing is i have surgery in september so will be laid up for 6 weeks so will just save as much as physically possible. 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
     I dont really think its fair that people on LWCRA get pushed out because we get a bit more a month.. We need that extra money more than ever especially at the moment.
    I agree with you, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.  Unfortunately, whereever that line is drawn, there will always be someone saying that it`s not fair.
    I, personally, don`t envy the poor soul who has to decide where the line is drawn knowing full well someone will go without.

• calcotti
    Options
    Floydiee1995 said: Indeed that is even more infuriating! :( It's a shame there is no way to appeal these sorts of things as its 1 day!! Considering I applied in January and was delayed due to me going through the work capability assessment. Meh, just got to move on. 
    No, you were not delayed through the wCA. The law provides that you don't get paid any extra money for LCWRA until the fourth payment - it's not a delay.

Unfortunately nothing to appeal - the CoL payment rules are set out in regulations.
  • Floydiee1995
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Floydiee1995 said: Indeed that is even more infuriating! :( It's a shame there is no way to appeal these sorts of things as its 1 day!! Considering I applied in January and was delayed due to me going through the work capability assessment. Meh, just got to move on. 
    No, you were not delayed through the wCA. The law provides that you don't get paid any extra money for LCWRA until the fourth payment - it's not a delay.

Unfortunately nothing to appeal - the CoL payment rules are set out in regulations.
    Oh ok. Glad you could rectify my thoughts on that. Thank you for your help
  • Floydiee1995
    Options
    Cartini said:
     I dont really think its fair that people on LWCRA get pushed out because we get a bit more a month.. We need that extra money more than ever especially at the moment.
    I agree with you, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.  Unfortunately, whereever that line is drawn, there will always be someone saying that it`s not fair.
    I, personally, don`t envy the poor soul who has to decide where the line is drawn knowing full well someone will go without.
    I completely agree! hopefully I will have some more hope financially with the PIP process I am going through again! Thanks 

• Floydiee1995
    Options
    Hey guys had a very interesting update this morning regarding the COL payment. As you advised I had missed out by 1 day! Well.... before i actually wrote this on the forum there is a way now because after the deadline of first payments to be sent, to query why you didn't get it. I am very glad i did this because i received this letter this morning stating: 

You told us you have not received the £326 Cost of Living Payment for Universal Credit, but think you should have done. We have looked into your enquiry and can see you did not receive the Cost of living payment. We have reviewed your claim and can confirm that you are entitled, because you had an entitlement to Universal Credit between 26 April and 25 May. This means you will get the Cost of Living payment in September. It will automatically go into the account you most recently provided details for. 

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.