Pip review for my son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip review for my son

Options
destroyer_123
destroyer_123 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi all
Hope everyone is well
A quick question I am trying to fill out the review form for pip for my son who has since my last pip form has had a few difficulties like in 2019 he had a mental breakdown and self harmed so we had house visits for a few months. And in Dec 2021 he had a severely dislocated foot and had to have 2 operations and a metal plate put inside to fix it. He is struggling daily and I just would like to get the form done right even though I have done this before I'm nervous this time. Thanks for reading 

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know the prognosis of the foot but I believe there has to be a history or time having a condition before you can be awarded and for it to be expected that it will last another set amount in the future. Is hit foot likely to recover and his walking? 
  • destroyer_123
    Options
    Hi 
    I'm not getting pip for his foot but just mentioning it as he has had 2 operations and a metal plate put into his foot causing a limp ,pain and exhaustion when he walks for too long it's also impacted him psychologically aswell so although iv always had to help and remind him.
    His prognosis was open divergent lisfranc dislocation fracture.
  • destroyer_123
    Options
    Sorry not very clear he has been a recipient of pip because he has autism he needs constant help and  reminding daily for everything he does and supervised for his own safety as he does not understand how to do it alone.  And since he broke his foot he has become worse psychologically and now needs more taking care of because of this.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Reviews are always worrying, did you do the forms by yourself last time or did you get some help with htem? What is his current award, do you think his care needs have increased to warranting a higher award? Seeing your son struggle must break your heart so I hope you get lots of support for you as well <3
  • destroyer_123
    Options
    Yes I did get some help I think but did most of it myself he recieves the highest category for his award. Its very difficult because its impacted his mental health tremendously and he has meltdowns. I'm a single parent with two other children  so yes it's exhausting really.
    I think I do need to phone carer support as other than his father I do not get any other support 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for your response @destroyer_123. It is positive to hear you got some help, necessary too. It is the very least you deserve. 

It sounds tough that it has impacted his mental health tremendously and he has meltdowns. You have mentioned being exhausted. That sounds really tough. Would you like to tell us more about how you are feeling at the moment?

Some phone carer support you might find helpful include:

Please feel free to keep us in the loop with how you are doing. We are all here for you, even if that's just as a listening ear  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.