Amino Acid Therapy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Amino Acid Therapy

sarahpratten
sarahpratten Community member Posts: 35 Courageous
edited June 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Just to let those who are interested know that Dr Alexander Klimenov will be visiting UK from 2nd to 6th November. You can see him at Advance at East Grinstead (www.advancecentres.com). He practices metabolic therapy (mainly using amino acids) providing a drug free approach.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Comments

• artapireva
    artapireva Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    HI Sarah,

Can you explain a bit more about the therapy?

Thanks
  • artapireva
    artapireva Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Sounds intresting!

Woulde it be possible to tell me how much it costs and what changes did you see in your son?

My daughter has PVL with the outcome of spastic dipleagia with total trunk involvment.

Thanks

Arta
  • sarahpratten
    The indivisuals history and symptoms are discussed and an EEG is taken to get an idea of brain activity. Supplements are then prescribed to improve metabolism in the brain as well as cardiovascular and gastrointestinal systems. A few days later another EEG is taken to review changes in activity in the brain and changes in the childs behaviour discussed. Depending on this supplements may be adjusted.
    A prescription is made (and supplements supplied). A prescription usually involves 8 to 10 stages with each stage lasting 10 days with a 5 day gap in between - the idea is not to make the brain dependent on the supplements, but to stimulate it to recognize its need for them and therefore utilize that already found in the body or manufacture its own. I suppose you could say this therapy helps in waking the brain up.
    I have certainly found it helpful for my son.

Best wishes,
    Sarah
  • umbro
    umbro Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello Sarah,

How have you found this has helped your son? And are the benefits clearly different from those of the Scotson technique (which I believe you also do).

Thanks,

U x
  • sarahpratten
    Date change: 9th to 13th November.
  • mafala
    mafala Community member Posts: 71 Listener
    I thought that EEG either show normal or abnormal brain wave patterns. My son has CP but has a normal EEG. Is there such a thing as an even more normal EEG? I don't understand how the Russian doctor uses this to monitor progress. Pretty steep price too. Hope no one is considering re-mortgaging their house in desperation to help their child.
  • sarahpratten
    The benefits for Will have been improved muscle tone, generally more alert and improved clarity of speech.
    The Scotson Technique has strengthened Will's diaphragm, improved his breathing and oxygen circulation and obviously this has many follow on effects - his physical structure is much more "normal" and improvements enabled him to vocalize. The amino acid supplements just make him more "on the ball" - he tones up and gears up and although this tapers off a little when he stops the supplements, he never drops right back to where he was prior to the start of a course.
    They are not cheap - the cost is in the region of
  • sarahpratten
    Hi Mafala,

Unfortunately the therapy is expensive, but in my opinion worthwhile.

My son does not have a"normal" EEG for his age. He used to have much lower activity in some brain areas of certain wave types and very poor interhemesperical integration, this has now improved significantly and although has followed a normal pattern of development is immature for his age. The amino acid supplements have helped a great deal in this improvement.

Best wishes,
    Sarah

• sarahpratten

Dr Alexander Klimenov is visiting Advance again during the week commencing 15th February.

It is interesting that Will's cranial osteopath (Stuart Korth) picked up straight away that Will was back on the amino acid supplements - he said there was so much more going on in the brain which gave him much more to work with. Will is doing very well at the moment.

Best wishes,
    Sarah
  • marykayet
    marykayet Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Pretty interesting. I heard a lot of good things about it and will give it a shot. I hope it will give me great result.

Brightness