Trying To Meet Mum’s Of Toddlers With Cp — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trying To Meet Mum’s Of Toddlers With Cp

Guest Community member Posts: 1,968 Listener
edited June 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hi,

I have not had much luck in the area I live or on the Early Years forum either, but I am trying to meet other Mum's of children with CP in the Colchester area. I have been in contact with a member from scope (regional worker) but unfortunately they have not been able to help me with this as the groups don't seem to exist in my area.

My son is almost 2 and has mild CP- hemiplegia, affecting his right leg more that his right arm. He is able to walk (with a slight drag of the leg and tip-toeing!) and his ability to learn and speak has not been affected (as far as we know). He attends nursery without any additional help and the only clue to his difficulties is when you watch him walk.

I would however, like to me other parent's of children with CP to just talk about the ups and downs of the condition and allow my child to meet other children with similar disibilities as at the moment we have not met anyone. Although my friends are understanding and kind it is not the same as being able to talk to someone who also has firsthand experience of having a child with CP.

If you live near to Colchester (Essex) and would like to start a group (no matter how small!) please respond to this message.
Also if you can point me in the direction of any organisations ro groups that already exist in my areas that would also be very helpful.

Many thanks,

Charlotte

Comments

• speedyinpain
    speedyinpain Community member Posts: 52 Listener
    Hi scaz56

I am not sure wheather this website will help, but it is worth a try

http://www.disabilityessex.org/disability-information-database/index.php

i did a search on the direct website under the creteria you were looking for and i came accoss the following results

Search results for " group for parents of children with cerebral palsy in Colchester (Essex)"

The Ark, Highwoods Methodist Church, Colchester, Essex, CO4 9FF
    COL4 Ormiston Children's Centre Colchester Berechurch
    The Ormiston Centre, School Road, Colchester , Essex, CO2 8NN
    COL5 Ormiston Children's Centre Colchester New Town
    St Stephen's Church Centre, Canterbury Rd, Colchester, Essex, CO2 7RY
    COL6 Ormiston Children's Centre Colchester Shrub End
    Shrub End Sports and Community Centre, Boadicea Way, Colchester, Essex, CO2 9BG
    COL7 Ormiston Children's Centre Colchester Birch and Rural
    Birch CoE Primary, School Hill, Colchester, Essex, CO2 0LZ
    BRA7 The Valley Childrens Centre
    Earls Colne Primary, Park Lane, Colchester, Essex, CO6 2RH
    COL1 Ormiston Children's Centre Greenstead
    Greenstead Community Centre, Hawthorn Avenue, Colchester, Essex, CO4 3QE
    COL2 Ormiston Children's Centre St Anne's and Castle
    Oak Tree Centre, Harwich Road, Colchester, Essex, CO4 3DH

see enclosed link

http://childrenscentresfinder.direct.gov.uk/childrens-centres-search-results/?searchstring=+group+for+parents+of+children+with+cerebral+palsy+in+Colchester+(Essex)

I hope this helps you with your search.

Andrew
  • scaz56
    scaz56 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your reply! I have been to some of the Ormiston centres you put down on the list for other groups but as far as I know there are not any running there, directly for children with CP. However, I have e-mailed someone from The Ark Centre, just to see if they can help me. I am keeping my fingers crossed! I also may have a few other leads as well- one through thr Osteopath, possibly phsyiotherapis and maybe a parenting directory that I was given next week. If I don't have much luck, I may just start up a group myself seeing as there must be other Mum's in the same position as me.

Thanks once again for you reply- one is better than none and I will keep you posted!

Charlotte
  • mumto1
    mumto1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Charlotte

I'm not sure that there will be the exact answer you are looking for (!) but you could try http://www.snapcharity.org/ who are based in Brentwood.

There is also an active hemihelp group in Essex - www.hemihelp.org.uk

My daughter is much older and also has other disabilities, but I'm not too far away if you wanted to chat.

It isn't possible to exchange information via Scope but you could try joining www.specialkidsintheuk.org where it is possible to send private messages to other members. there are quite a few Essex members but there will be a very wide variety of children with special needs, not just CP.

Best wishes.
  • parentsofdisabledchildren
    parentsofdisabledchildren Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    May i recomend our site [url="http://www.parentsofdisabledchildren.co.uk"]www.parentsofdisabledchildren.co.uk[/url]
    Our site is a non profit site set up by Daniel and Lucy both parents of a disabled child.
    The site offers benefit advice and education advice and general chitter chatter and we also have a good private messaging system and we now allow members to keep an online blog should they wish.
    I really hope we can be of use to some members here.
    I shall also stick around the forum to help in any benefit enquiries or housing advice on here.

Could i also just confirm with the site admin as i would like to place a link to this site on ours if ok?Just like to check :unsure:

Look forward to seeing some of you over at [url="http://www.parentsofdisabledchildren.co.uk"]www.parentsofdisabledchildren.co.uk[/url]
    Guest Community member Posts: 1,968 Listener
    [quote]Could i also just confirm with the site admin as i would like to place a link to this site on ours if ok?Just like to check :unsure: [/quote]

Dear parentsofdisabledchildren,

Thank you for your recent post.

We wish you well with your website and would welcome a link to www.scope.org.uk on your site.

Regards

Scope Forum Moderator
  • AnnieB
    AnnieB Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hi. Have you investigated the Face2Face website ( www.face2facenetwork.org.uk ) on the groups page there is one based in Essex. This group is not one run by Scope, unlike the majority of the schemes, but is affiliated to the national network. You may want to consider training to be a befriender, it's incredibly fulfilling, or you could just arrange with the co-ordinator to publisise your desire to start up a support group. Either way, good luck!  Take care. Annie

• EBaker
    EBaker Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Charlotte
    You could try http://mumsmeetup.com to search your area for other mums whose children have CP.
    Eleaner
  • JonB
    JonB Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I have a little girl age 3 who has CP I am from Colchester and would like to me other parents
    Many Thanks Jon

Brightness