Growing Up — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Growing Up

Options
Guest Community member Posts: 1,968 Listener
Hey,
I'm 15 and go to a top independent girls school, where I'm the only disabled kid in 700. i use a wheelchair and have a full time career, although i can write and type for myself. i can propel myself but not at speed or too far.
i do have a good circle of friends who i am fully able to intergrate with. however, even though they try, they are not able to understand how i feel when i get frustrated or upset and as i grow up this annoys me more and more. any ways to meet other physically disabled teenagers informally?
although reasonably independent at school i'm not at home. i need to be taken to the loo, washed, dressed, fed, put to bed etc by my parents which is fine until they are busy or want to go to bed before i do. Again, ideas?
i am also beginning to worry about the future. i want to go to university (which i WILL, dont worry :D im a stubborn kid) and hopefully work for a newspaper. how do you overcome physical difficulties as well as prejudices in the world of work?
ok that was long, sorry, a lot to say
Thanks

Comments

• Lucy9
    Lucy9 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm 15 and go to a top independent girls school, where I'm the only disabled kid in 700. i use a wheelchair and have a full time career, although i can write and type for myself. i can propel myself but not at speed or too far.
    i do have a good circle of friends who i am fully able to intergrate with. however, even though they try, they are not able to understand how i feel when i get frustrated or upset and as i grow up this annoys me more and more. any ways to meet other physically disabled teenagers informally?
    although reasonably independent at school i'm not at home. i need to be taken to the loo, washed, dressed, fed, put to bed etc by my parents which is fine until they are busy or want to go to bed before i do. Again, ideas?
    i am also beginning to worry about the future. i want to go to university (which i WILL, dont worry :D im a stubborn kid) and hopefully work for a newspaper. how do you overcome physical difficulties as well as prejudices in the world of work?
    ok that was long, sorry, a lot to say
    Thanks
  • speedyinpain
    speedyinpain Community member Posts: 52 Listener
    Options
    Hi Lucy9

Hope your ok.

In relation to your friends not being able to understand how you feel when you get upset etc. I wonder have you thought about seeing if you can find a pen friend with the same type of CP you've got?

I was lucky when i was at school as i had other friends with disabilities and my best mate is also disabled so it makes things easier.

The question about work and prejudices is an interesting one, as we all have prejudices not just related to disability. I think how you deal with them depends on how you see and feel about yourself. In my opinion that is what's important and makes all the difference is, being positive and looking your abilities or skills. The physical difficulties you may have mean that you will deveop unique ways to overcome the barriers or difficulties trust me.

In regards to the help you need when your at home, have you talked with your parents about getting a Personal Assistant by applying for direct payments available from social services?, that way you have more independance and freedom.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Andrew

Brightness