Sensitive Hearing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sensitive Hearing

chakka
chakka Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hello all,

Is anyone living with Cerebral Palsy affected by sensitive hearing? the reason I ask is my three and a half year old who has athetoid Cerebral Palsy is very sensitive to noise and starts crying quite alot whenever we are in a noisy environment. Shows, attractions, plays, singing and where there are lots of people.

It is affecting so many things, as we are so limited to the places we can take her. Maybe Cerebral Palsy and sensitive hearing are not connected and that she would have had it any way? I am not sure.

Either way it would be interesting to hear your views.

Many thanks
Mandy

Comments

• katlil
    katlil Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Hi Mandy

My 5 year old daughter has spastic cerebral palsy and doesn't like loud noises. She will jump and flinch and blink a lot in noisy environments.

She almost jumped off her seat once when we took her to the cinema and the movie started. At a recent party they had an entertainer with a mircophone, and she she was very jumpy and nervy throughout the party.

I've always linked this to her cp, but luckily for us she doesn't get too upset with it.

Jo
  • mafala
    mafala Community member Posts: 71 Listener
    My son is 8 and startles easily with loud noises, which means that he hates parties, going to the theatre etc. He refuses to go to the panto at Christmas with the rest of the school. Weirdly he doesn't mind school, which is very noisy. He just hates sudden loud ones that set of his startle reflex, which people without neurological problems have learned to suppress.
  • renacahill
    renacahill Community member Posts: 145 Courageous
    Hello. My grandson with CP (2) has always had very acute hearing (dont we know it when he's asleep and the proverbial pin drops). Like little Mandy, jumps at sudden noises. It seems to be the sudden noises rather than noisy environments- not phased by these strangely. His brain was injured at birth and I think his sensory and auditory system just will take longer to mature and tune out unwanted sounds and sudden noise, but he is definitely improving with time.
    Kate
  • renacahill
    renacahill Community member Posts: 145 Courageous
    Apologies, I read ' Mandy my 5 year old' doh

Brightness