Bathing and Casts — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bathing and Casts

JDWilson
JDWilson Community member Posts: 90 Listener
My daughter will need Casts on both legs after a op for 6 wks has anyone got any tips on bathing and management during this time. Ive heard you can get covers for casts but that these cannot be submerged in water? If we are to put her in the bath with her legs up Her head would be under water? Any management tips appreciated Thanks.

Comments

• Hextal
    Hextal Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I've spotted that they sell these things now - essentially a polythene bag with a rubber end to form a seal, all saying they are bath/swim compatible. Looks like a more pleasant version of the bin bag and tape solution I had when I broke my arm.

Not sure if I can give specific sites, but if you google waterproof, cast & protector, there appear to be a number of sites selling them for around
  • JDWilson
    Thankyou. Gosh
  • Hextal
    Hextal Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    You could try bin bags and elasticated straps, but not sure whether they might leak a tiny bit, equally they may work a treat. It's a balance of getting a strap that is tight enough to stop water seeping in but not so tight that it starts to hurt after a few mins. Can the NHS not supply anything when the do the casts?

My arm would sweat a bit more in the bag, but wearing a cast you sweat quite a bit anyway (stand clear when they are removed as things can get a tad wiffy and there will likely be a layer of dead skin that may take a bath or two to remove). Not sure if it will be of use, but chop-sticks are fantastic for getting to any iches obscured by the cast.
  • JDWilson
    Thankyou I will ask when we go to Newcastle. She is going to be immobile so maybe not want us to bath her. Going to be hard no weight bearing. She had casts on for 2 wks once before and was pleased to get them off This is 3 times the length oh dear.:-( Hadn't thought of itchy and sweaty urgh poor thing. I Hope we can bath her as casts come off before 2nd op. I'l have to try to take things one day at a time But for warned is for armed. Thanks.
  • renacahill
    renacahill Community member Posts: 145 Courageous
    www.funswimshop.co.uk

These have covers for various casts.

x
  • aanniieej
    aanniieej Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi my son also had both legs in casts we spend
  • JDWilson
    Thankyou. Samantha Loves her baths too 6 wks is a long time not to have them for. She will need 2 as well. She is getting her Bones turned at the top of the leg too so not sure If she will beable to get in the bath or not. Lots of questions to ask yet but If she can have baths I'l now know where I can get these things from and how effective they are. Didn't want wet soggy casts. Thankyou so much for your Replies.P.s I suppose swimming would be out? lol. She loves her swimming too but don't think she'd be up to it for a while after the ops. Once both ops done stiches out all healed etc T'm sure my Water Baby will be back. She swims twice a week and Got a GOLD and 2 silvers at the Gala last week. Ops in Feb.

Brightness