Does searching for property leave you confused.com? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does searching for property leave you confused.com?

JamieRobertson
JamieRobertson Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Have you ever had difficulty finding an accessible property? Perhaps you got to a viewing only to find there were steps to up to the door or the bathroom was to small to get around safely? Tell us your experience. Call 02076197370 or email campaigns@scope.org.uk

Comments

• KayPorretta-White
    KayPorretta-White Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Jamie,

It seemed to me that estate agents have a moritorium on listening to your requirements when house hunting. We had a nightmare when we were looking for a bugalow.
    Our remit was:
    4 bedrooms,
    no steps,
    parking
    within Cardiff / Newport
    Space to alter / adapt as necessary

We were shown 2 story dorma houses (I refuse to call them bungalows)
    2 bedroom semi detached bungalows with no parking
    split level bungalows, one had 16 steps within it.

We were sent details of properties in Merthyr Tydfil, Brecon and Bristol!

It was a nightmare. Took 6 years to find out home!

Kx
  • JamieRobertson
    JamieRobertson Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Kay,

Thanks for getting back to me. We are going to be launching a campaign around estate agents. It would be great if we could have chat with a view to developing a case study?

Our media team would also love to have a chat with you too.

Could you give Warren Kirwan in our press team a call on 020 7619 7702 to discuss this further?

Many thanks,

Jamie

• kingboy25
    kingboy25 Community member Posts: 57 Listener
    my son viewed over thirty flats before finding a suitable one. At one block the estate agent stopped at a flight of steps. My son and his p.a waited then asked where the entrance was. She looked very confused when told that power chairs couldn't climb steps. It took a couple of sarcastic remarks for the penny to drop and she showed them down the road to an accessible entrance. Even developers who had been forced to include accessible units by the planning department had obviously not used the services of either a wheelchair user or an occupational therapist.

Brightness