the sense of touch — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

the sense of touch

Andrewds
Andrewds Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited June 2014 in Cerebral palsy
is there a difference between cp and non cp in regards to the sense of touch, how can one with CP at 31 deal with this?

Comments

• kingboy25
    kingboy25 Community member Posts: 57 Listener
    Yes there can be a difference in sensitivity of touch in people with cp as opposed to non-c.p.ers. This can be either increased or decreased sensitivity. As I remember the treatment is basically the same. Eg
    If the hands are affected either way the treatment is to do things with the hands such as stroking or massage, or squeezing a rubber ball etc. The worse thing to do is not to use the affected parts at all as that would mean new neural pathways would not be made.
  • Andrewds
    Can it be helpful for CP and touch to do things without the sense of sight like

put shapes in holes
    sort out pegs of different textures
    feel for coins in a shoebox of coins
  • kingboy25
    absolutely. You could think of it in the same way as physiotherapy. The more you do your phisio exercises the more good they do you and the easier they get. If you can get somebody to compete against the more fun it will be but even just fingering your own clothes or eating utensils or even food using both hands to make comparisons is all useful. I know from experience that a good special needs nursery does these things but maybe you didn't get this experience as a small child. Often a child with c.p. has sensitivity problems and if the parents do not have anyone experienced to guide them they give in to their child's reluctance to use those senses they have problems with and the child grows up with for example a tiny curled up hand which they never use because it hurts. If the hand is desensitised it becomes more useful and no longer a source of pain.
    I worked on my son's concentration and listening skills by making him close his eyes then tell me which coin I had dropped on his tray. This worked for him because he was intensly interested in money at a very young age and was able to calculate his change and challenge a stallholder's mistake at the age of seven.
    Use whatever interests you to increase your skills. Something people who have had strokes often do is to squeeze something like a soft rubber ball while they are doing other things, eg conversing this helps to strengthen hand muscles and helps with the issue of hand sensitivity
    Hope this is useful.
    Rosie
  • Andrewds
    if one has been lacking in sensory activities etc in the past, doing things at home is good, for example making up games that involved building up, using the sense of touch without using the sense of sight. Ie the examples I mentioned in my last post. Now with building up the sense of touch, how much should you do with sight and without sight? If someone enjoys playing games/activities that involves the 4 senses without looking (ie eyes closed or blindfolded), is there a name for that or is it just wanting to make up for lack of stimulation?
  • kingboy25
    Hi Andrewds, There are no rules about how often or for how long you should carry out these sensory activities. It is entirely up to you. It would be helpful if you explained your sensory difficulties clearly. eg. do you have a problem with touch or hearing or other issues. As far as I know the activities don't have a name. These are things I have picked up while raising a child with C.P and observing what professionals do.
    It is good to try and incorporate the activities into normal life as much as possible.

Rosie
  • Andrewds
    my email address is (email address removed as per forum rules) can we discuss this over email?
  • Andrewds
    this may or may not interest some people
    Therapy diary of Andrew Short

During the last few years I have been doing a lot of work of posture speech and breathing, and sense of touch using blindfolds and this is the account.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
    This is not a textbook on physiotherapy it is merely the notes of what I found helpful, it may not work in other cases. As far as I know no harm will come to anyone who tries any of these ideas, provided it is done under the right supervision, but I am not an expert and anyone taking my fallible advice, is doing so at their own risk, and in certain places (i.e. biofeedback) the relevant health care professionals, must be consulted. It goes without saying that a responsible adult (ie teacher, therapist or parent) is required, and that they are the best judge on the safest way to blindfold someone and how long they can
  • Andrewds
    Today I got my pj top which has 4 rather small buttons and I blindfolded myself and put on my top and buttoned up all 4 holes correctly without using my eyes. That's what I call a great exercise in fine motor skills.

Brightness