Balance issues when standing - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Balance issues when standing

Options
2»

Comments

• acrossthepond
    acrossthepond Community member Posts: 36 Listener
    Options
    Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum. I hope that you will continue to join with the rest of us in sharing all types of information and ideas.

While my balance is not as deeply affected as yours seems to be, I would like to know where you got your wobble cushion from, if it was mail ordered. Or the manufacturer, product name and the approximate cost, if it wasn't, since it sounds like something I might benefit from. With that information, I can begin to look for something similar here in the U.S., without spending money on items that don't work for me.

It would be wonderful to be able to work on my balance issues without having to go into physical therapy. (again).

Regards,

J
  • lil-A
    lil-A Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi Kat,

I joined this forum purely because of reading what you wrote when searching the net for info. I have never been a member of a forum before so bare with me! I am 27 years old, female and also suffer from mild cp. When I read about the problems you are having with standing I couldn't believe I had found someone just like me! I have been having the exact same problems for 7 years and I thought I was alone. The doctors don't seem to know what to do with me. I have had various tests, including an MRI scan. I have been on Baclofen and other drugs but they exhausted me.
    Up until I was 20 I managed life just fine, better than fine, and I now I get scared to walk down the street in case someone stops me for a chat as I am unable to stand and talk to them, like you say even for a second as my body just becomes ridgid. Standing in queues is really difficult- impossible if there is nothing to hold on to, and like you say standing at traffic lights to cross the road.
    I have always been very very active and could do pretty much anything as a child and teenager, I can even run long distance, ride a bike and a horse. While I am very very grateful for the things that I am able to do which perhaps others can't, this problem is becoming a real barrier in me being able to get on with my life as i'd like and as I once did. And as no one seems to be able to provide an answer to the problem its really quite distressing. I have had many people say to me that it is all in my head, including one neurologist I've seen. I know this isn't true.
    I have worked on my feet for 8 years full time as a sales assistant and as I have had the problem for 7 years I'm really wondering whether this has contributed. I have tried to change my job but every time this problem hinders my interview success as I am unable to keep my balance. Just like you I am not too bad in my own relaxed environment. I have also found that I suffer form a lot of back pain and pain in my feet and hips which I never had before.
    I really hope I don't sound like I am moaning too much, I have much to be thankful for, but it's such a relife to be able to discuss this with someone who truly understands. Have you had any luck with a solution yet?

Amy
  • lil-A
    Options
    Hi Kat,

This is the second time I have posted a response to your post (my first post appeared then I edited it and it never reappeared! So I will try again.
    I too have mild CP. Until 7 years ago it never affected me in any way other than I limped slighlty on my left foot. Over the past few years I have developed exactly the same problem as you are describing. I have to be honest and say I was relieved when I read your post as I thought I was the only one! I stumbled across it whilst looking for some info on the matter. Having read it I thought I should join and respond.
    Growing up and especially during my teens I was able to do pretty much anything, I considered myself 'normal'. At 27 I am still able to do lots of things such as horse ride, run long distances, cycle etc... but I have great problems standing. Standing in a queue as you mentioned, standing at traffic lights and talking to people in the street. My whole body tenses up and I lose balance and it is making getting on in life quite difficult. Whilst I am really very very grateful for all the things I am able to do I would really like an answer to this problem.
    I have tried Baclofen and found it exhausting and of little help. I have also been for and MRI and various other tests.... none of which shed any light on the problem. The doctors don't seem to have an answer- I have even had a couple tell me that it is all in my head. It isn't.
    I have been working in retail full time for 8years and this problem began around 7 years ago. I can't help but wonder if being on my feet all day has contibuted to the problem. I have tried to look for other jobs but found my interview success has been hampered by this problem as I lose my balance. This also adds to my nerves and I think my nerves add to the problem. It is very frustrating.
    Two years ago I started seeing an Osteopath. I would recommend this to you. Mine has been very very helpful. Although I still have the problem I have found that it has been less severe.
    I am also trying to get myself as fit as possible. Before I started work I kept myself really fit, I was lucky to be able to do so in the ways that I did. After starting work I must admit I let myself go a bit. I was enjoying work, working a lot and going out and having a fun like people my age were then. Having always been told that CP doesn't get any worse I perhaps took it for granted that I wouldn't get problems further down the line. No one told me I would.
    I think that exercise and keeping yourself as fit as possible is probably the answer to this. It's very hard to fit everything in when working full time and trying to get on with life, but I have realised it's more about balancing things out.
    I'd love to hear if you have found anything else out about this since you posted. It would be great to have some more thoughts,

Best Wishes,
    Amy.
  • lil-A
    Options
    I see both have now appeared! Apologies for repeating myself!
    Amy.
  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Amy

Any posts have to be moderated by us, the moderating team, before they go live. Hence the delay! I set both posts live because I wasn't sure which one you wanted to go on. Sorry about that...

Kind regards

Forums Moderator
  • lil-A
    Options
    No worries at all. I did email enqiuring about the first post and it was suggested to me to re post... forums are new to me so I'm learning! :) Thanks v.much
    Amy

Brightness