Gait Analysis and buggy to wheelchair advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gait Analysis and buggy to wheelchair advice

Options
myjakeys
myjakeys Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
edited September 2014 in Aids, adaptations, and equipment
My six year old boy has spastic dipleagia and i took him to his hospital appointment today and he got examined etc. After the examination the doc said he will need a gait analysis just a basic one she said the indepth one takes about 2 hrs so he won t be able to tolerate that one yet. I just really wanted to ask is there anyone who s child has had this done and what does it entail cause as usual my mind went blank when the doc asked did i have any questions. Also i told the doc today that my son still sees a OT but he has nt seen a physio for a long long time so shes gonna investigate why this is. Regarding my buggy question all i wanted to ask is do i phone wheelchair services regarding him getting to big for his buggy . My son can walk but does get tired. Any advice would be great, thanks xx

Comments

• JDWilson
    JDWilson Community member Posts: 90 Listener
    Options
    Hi Gait analayasis Basic is usually getting the child to walk up and down a mat and be videoed so they can see how their feet are possitioned on floor contact also checks knees Gives a rough general idea about How they walk and which areas may be at risk. ankles,knees etc and what they could do to help maybe splints or boots or something else.
    The more indepth one is similar but they also put electrodes on the legs that look like ping pong balls and these send messages to the computor to give a more accurate account of how they walk and what can be done to help. Possibly surgury? You may beable to google and get a better pic.
    Regarding buggy we went through our Physio but as your physio is erratic ask one of the peadatricians they should beable to help. good luck with both things.
  • williamjang
    williamjang Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I agree with the entire comment above. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is up todate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job.

Brightness