Developing communication — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Developing communication

ScopeHelpline
ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
Posted on behalf of London Regional Response Worker.

Hello All

I spoke to a family last week who have a 4 year old daughter who goes to mainstream school and has cerebral palsy.

Her Mum said that her daughter's communication is mostly affected - she can make sounds with meaning, understands what is said to her and can say Mum, Nan, bye and ta.

As her mum does not have access to a computer she has asked me to ask other families on the forum - what helped to develop their child's communication and how? so that she can have more meaningful communication with her daughter.

Many thanks

Comments

• JordanRose
    JordanRose Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hello!

I don't have much information on this, but found that picture boards work quite well. I worked in a special school and supported a boy who had no verbal communication at all (also 4 years old), but I managed to understand him using these. The teacher basically made him a book, which had pictures of simple things such as colours, toys and numbers, for learning purposes, and symbols for things such as 'hungry', 'thirsty', 'tired'...

I know it seems basic, but you wouldn't believe what a difference such a little thing made, as he was able to express what he wanted and how he felt. On a more complex level, how about trying Makaton? From what I've seen, that can make a whole world of difference, and I think courses can be found online, or relatively cheap in adult learning centres, deaf centres and even hospitals.

Hope that helps!
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    The family (and school) really need to ask for a proper communication assessment cos there's lots out there to help kids with little or no speech and of course being able to communicate more than just "hungry" and "thirsty" is pretty important for education and social development.
    Look here for a good new introduction to AAC (alternative and augmentative communication) you can either download or request a hard copy.
    http://www.thecommunicationtrust.org.uk/~/media/Communication Trust/Documents/Other Ways of Speaking FINAL.ashx
  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Thank you and the regional worker will pass the information on to the family.

Brightness