Where to buy or have made (nice) orthopaedic shoes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where to buy or have made (nice) orthopaedic shoes

Options
antait
antait Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My 26 year old daughter who has CP needs to know where to buy or get made (nice) orthopaedic shoes which can support her properly whilst walking. At 26 and working in a professional environment she would like to have smart and reasonably young/fashionable type shoes. Has anyone got any suggestions? Location is not an issue but anywhere in the North West would be ideal but please do not restrict this from you making a suggestion.

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi I'm 25 and have the same problem.
    I really struggle to find decent looking supportive footwear, particularly as I have recently started wearing an afo on my left leg. It is an absolute nightmare!!! I hate shoe shopping as I have a long list of requirements that leaves most shopkeppers bewildered!! I have been known to destroy boots that were made for the military in weeks and I have oddly sized feet... so you can imagine the fun I have!!
    I now have gone back to wearing Piedro boots, as I found they work best, and they look alot better than when I first started wearing them as a child!!
    Take a look at http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/Shop/
    hope this helps
    chris
  • antait
    antait Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Chris we'll take a look!
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, was just wondering whether you get seen by an orthotist??
    They can supply footwear, but they are also a great source of advice about support for feet etc.
    I had an app this morning and they have come up with a great idea for me, as I wear a solid afo on my left leg, and need lots of support for my right, they have suggested that I wear a dafo - which is similar to an afo on my right.
    So then I will have more choice of footwear as the support comes from the orthoses and not the footwear.

Brightness