Double Pushchairs?! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Double Pushchairs?!

Options
hayley564
hayley564 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi All,

I need some advice! I have twins who are 13 months (actual) and 9.5 months (corrected). My little boy has Quad Spastic CP but my little girl does not have any special needs whatsoever. I am looking for a double buggy for the pair of them. Elliot needs far more support now and he almost needs a special buggy but after trawling the internet, I cannot find anything for both of them. I cannot have two separate buggies as I am on my own with them most of the time.

Any ideas?

Comments

• imogen37
    imogen37 Community member Posts: 61 Listener
    Options
    Hi Hayley

Yes it is tricky with one being healthy and the otehr one having high needs !!!

We have City Jogger Elite, have had it since the boys were 9 months (they'll be 2 next month). looking back it really was just good luck that I got a suitable one!

Bought mine second hand, so it's an older model, but i hope they still make it.

The seats are bucket style and really soft, so the bum sinks in and the pelvis can't slide forward. I have a corex board covered with foam in the back of the seat for Marten to provide the support and padding. Then I have Kidopotamus buggy liner in for him to make the seat narrower and support the lumbar region and head and keep things (ie him)in one place. When he was younger and weaker he also had a wee roll to support the side of his head from tilting too far, but he does not need it any longer. On top of that City Joggers are quite light and easy to fold.

Somebody in this forum mentioned some buggy which is 50:50 and the healthy child side can be taken off later on, but you have to trawl through the old posts here to find it.

How are you doing anyway? tried to PM you through Tamba, but it came up that you haven't activated your PM system. I am happy to get PMs from you.

Good luck with buggy search!

Imogen x

• mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    Options
    The double one mentioned sounds like my buggy - the Activate Tandem. It's stupidly expensive but offers a proper postural support adjustable seat on the front and a 'sling seat' at the back. The sling seat is actually a substantial reclinable seat with its own raincover and can be taken off when the second child no longer needs it. I have been told that the basket at the base is solid enough to withstand a 2nd child standing in it as if it were a buggyboard and the pushchair can continue to be used as a single pushchair once the 2nd child no longer needs it all. It can be used in a car using the anchor points but we have only ever folded in down and put it in our very large boot. Downsides: very very heavy,doesn't fold down small, very very expensive. Upsides: proper adjustable postural support chair, no compromise in comfort for the other twin.We applied for charity funding to help us get it and have been really pleased with it. Looks nice too. Maria xx
  • hayley564
    hayley564 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Is it really that heavy??? I was looking at it the other day and thought it would be a good idea - something like
  • mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    Options
    Hi Hayley,

We're in Burgess Hill, nr Brighton. We got assessed through Horsham wheelchair Services and if I remember rightly we got something like

Brightness