Does anyone use a (non regulation) 2 wheel electric scooter for mobility? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone use a (non regulation) 2 wheel electric scooter for mobility?

Options
EmilyWould
EmilyWould Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Does anyone use a (non regulation) 2 wheel electric scooter for mobility?
All the mobility scooters I see are incredibly heavy (and expensive), but an electric 2 wheel scooter ( like the ones kids & teenagers use) would be perfect for me. Would love to hear if anyone has any experience or advice on this.

I am 33 years old and recently disabled. I have a problem with my hips and pelvis) that means I can't walk a distance of more than approx 20 meters and desperately need some form of mobility vehicle to get out and about. At the moment I am completely reliant on other people to push me in a wheelchair if I want to go anywhere and I am desperate to have the independence to go out alone. My condition means that extended periods of walking or sitting (especially in my wheelchair) aggravate the pain. It also means that I cannot lift anything too heavy. This rules out using any of the regulation mobility scooters as they are all too heavy and bulky for me to lift out of my car. The light weight options (like the luggie) are way too expensive!

Then whilst watching my daughter on her scooter the other day it suddenly dawned on me that an electric and slightly bigger version of a kids scooter would be perfect for me. As long as it has a padded seat and I can sit upright with my feet resting in front of me I should be fine for short distances.

I found this one: the Razor 300s

Comments

• Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Emily

l too am disabled and unable to walk unaided. I became disabled about ten years ago(Scheuermanns Decease) there that will have you googling to find out what that is. Actually, l have had my spine re-built with titanium rods.
    I had the same problems as you, l would suggest you ask your GP to refer you to your local wheelchair centre, as you may be entitled to a free wheelchair. To get you out and about, l would urge you to buy an electric mobility scooter. You don't have to pay the earth, l bought mine on preloved.com for
  • EmilyWould
    EmilyWould Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Rob

Thanks so much for your message. It really is so difficult, but I am keeping as positive as possible. Every now and then I feel like my heart has cracked a little and I have to fight back the tears, but I am determined to keep moving, keep busy, and keep smiling. Really good to hear from you and your experience.

I will definitely check out preloved and ask my GP for support.

Warmest thanks
    Emily
  • livinwheeled
    livinwheeled Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    You might also be able to get help getting a van with a lift in it, thereby no more lifting the scooter/chair

Brightness