Tips - wetting — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tips - wetting

mazzym
mazzym Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Here is a tip for bedwetting problems.

If you haven't already thought of this. If your mattress gets wet, sprinkly bicarbonate of soda (you can usually find it near the flour in the baking section of supermarket) on the wet patch and it will not only absorb the smell it will soak up the wet. Leave it on the wet patch for as long as you can and then vacuum off.
Use a mattress pad between sheet and mattress to protect from future leakage.

My son is a nappy wearer, I always since he was about 4 years old have put boxer shorts on top of his nappy, it not only keeps the nappy in place but if there is a leak, it often gets the boxers before the trousers, so at least I don't have two things to change. It also helps if teaching children to use the toilet, because you can to still pull underwear down.

Hope it helps someone

Maz

Comments

• JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    edited June 2014
    Bicorbonate of soda is a great tip, In between, bed changes and cleaning bed protectors etc, the mattress always gets one or two wee accidents on it, and I have always tried to get rid of the odour, but washing alone does not seem to work, will try this, thanks for the tip. Brill.
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    I might be stating the obvious here. But you never know, some people aren't aware that if their child is incontinent they can request help from an incontinence nurse and receive FOC nappies, bed protection sheets etc Different areas have various rules, but a good place to start is with a health visitor or GP
  • mazzym
    mazzym Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    your welcome Marie.

I wish you could buy B.O.S in bulk quantities, I am sure you can but probably only from places like cash and carries, for businesses. So not readily available, if I find out though I'll let you know.

Heather, yes I agree, not everyone knows about free nappies but the age and quantities do vary from county to county, however David cameron has told PCT's not to restrict the quantity of nappies avaialbe, so I would quote him if necessary.
    We can't get free bed protectors in West Sussex, have to buy our own. Search on ebay for the cheapest. I have saved £££'s that way.
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Our PCT is extremely reluctant to provide nappies, but prefer to opt for bed protectors!
    Now can I ask a question on wetting? My son has a routine/habit I've asked professionals for advice about, but unable to break it. He arrives home from school, we try toilet, nothing. No matter how long we try! 10 minutes later he soils himself. Remove his clothing and he stays dry for the rest of the night. Put clothes on him and he will wet them repeatedly all night! Regularly get through 4 > 5 sets of clothes an evening. Any ideas?

Brightness