Over Eating — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Over Eating

JimJams
JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
I struggle to keep my sons eating habits in check, he does not seem to ever be full and his weight is a problem. I have tried hiding treats, but if he knows they are in the house he will not give up till he gets them. Any ideas how to try to introduce more healthy snacks.

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    You could try a transition between unhealthy and healthy eg chocolate covered raisins, yoghurt covered fruit flakes, melt chocolate and dip strawberries and grapes in, put fruit in jellies or angel delight.
    Also make healthy snacks to be seen as a 'treat'.
    Make smoothies together.
    Fun stuff to buy- froobs and squeezies are in fun tubes, you can buy cheese shapes eg rabbits, cheese strings, they also make cheese that looks like spaghetti.
    From Willows Sensory Service
  • JimJams
    Thanks for the advice I will try and introduce some new things and not buy the regular treats as much, cut down to rewards only
  • JimJams
    edited June 2014
    Hi, just an update on introducing new snacks. I have introduces yogurt covered raisins, quite liked them, plain raisins he seemed to enjoy more. Cheese sticks he loves. He used to eats hundreds of those corner yogurts and they are 150 cals each, we went cold turkey with these and he has not had one for 10 days, and is not too bothered. I was scared initially to try and make a change but these small changes have been accepted, so making progress, thanks again for the advice
  • Naomi
    Naomi Community member Posts: 29 Listener
    My son's diet has always been very healthy, but the problem we have is the amount he eats. He could literally eat enough to make himself sick - if we let him. I feel that I am constantly fighting with him over food; not to eat too much, not to eat his sisters etc. Does anyone have any tips on how to make mealtimes a more pleasant experience? I want to continue to have family meals so I dont want him eating at different times from us.
  • JimJams
    Naomi I have the same problem and it sometimes gets me so stressed thinking about how much he has consumed. I have been hiding stuff, and just not buying in a lot of things. Not letting him see me bringing in the shopping. Its like a military operation sometimes. It is very hard, I totally sympathise with you, I have tried recently teaching my son the concept of being full, i.e. looking at his stomach and getting him to feel how full it is and say I am full, no more, eatings finished. This sometimes works, maybe you could try this, we all do it, rub our tummys and say full and exaggerate the gesture. Luckily my sons overeating is not constant but when he is going through this phase it is very stressfull.. I am also thinking of getting a separate hidden fridge , so he cannot see any visible food, he seems to accept if the cupboard is bare kind of thing and gives up, or I only put in the fridge what he is allowed for the day, once he sees its gone he will give up. Its very hard to keep all of this up as food needs to be in the fridge, so I will get another fridge and try and hide it somewhere. Someone else on the site suggested hiding food in empty vegetable bags etc, as they child did not like veg so did not attempt to open the bags. Good luck.
  • Willow
    Plates with portion control inserts may help.
    Food up high and fridge locks may help (may also make it more of a challenge, increasing the compulsion)
    I don't know if it would work but pine nuts are supposed to make you feel full.
    I think If your children respond to visual aids these may help eg, they post pictures of the food they are allowed, once eaten into a finished box.
    Or charts or symbols with red lines in or times when eating is or is not allowed. Lots of emphasis on finished.
    Then lots of distraction eg exercise in between meals.
  • Naomi
    Naomi Community member Posts: 29 Listener
    Many thanks for these suggestions. I think that with the help of signs like 'tummy full' my 12 year old is beginning to understand the concept of being full up, or at least he doesn't protest quite so much!
    A new query: does anyone have any suggestions about encouraging my son to watch television? He will only watch for a few minutes, then he will either fall asleep or have a tantrum. Any suggestions, particulalry for any suitable films (he has severe learning difficulties) would be much appreciated.
  • JimJams
    Some people on the site have suggested filming their children and showing them themselves on the tv. This might help increase your sons interest in the actual screen itself, then gradually introduce films involving things he is interested in. We use this technique with my son he has learned to do a few things like taking a shower or new phrases from films.
  • Willow
    Re. TV. You could try the Makaton Dave Benson Phillips dvd or Fun Song Factory or Something Special. These include Makaton and can be watched for just a few moment at a time.

Brightness