Wishing for dry nights — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wishing for dry nights

CathyG
CathyG Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi does anybody have any solutions for dry nights ? We use a pad and two booster pads, plus my son doesn't drink after 4 in the afternoons and he still wets through his pads and sheets every night.

Comments

• JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    My son who has autism goes through phases of bed wetting, I remind him to use the toilet before bed and keep talking to him about trying to remember to wake up and go to the toilet, sometimes works, but his wetting comes in phases ,when he is ill or teeth loose etc, other sensory issues seem to distract him from recognising the urge to go to the toilet. good luck
  • maureen1743
    maureen1743 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Artificial dyes are also related to bed wetting, especially red dyes. Try eliminating red dye from diet.
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi
    My 10 yr old has learnt and regressed many times with his toileting skills. I'm no expert but have to undergo an annual review with the incontinence nurse to renew our request for nappies. (dignity goes right out the window as you have to beg for 1 nappy a day !)
    But we were told to increase our sons fluid intake! Apparently if the bladder is not stretched it will lead to more accidents. Not sure if this is true as no way can I force my son to drink if he doesn't want to. But a different angle to the usual tactics of withholding fluids at night.
    Good luck. Sure they will get there when they are good and ready.
  • Heather
    edited June 2014
    Don't say anything too loud....but 4 days ago my son indicated he didn't want a nappy on and wanted to be a BIG BOY! 4 dry nights!!! WOW perhaps this website has a magical influence????
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi - I know lots of people who have the same problem. The incontinence nurse (your GP should be able to refer you) can give lots of advice.
    Telecare can also help - if he is able to toilet himself through the night but needs a prompt to get up - a device similiar to a speaking clock linked to a vibrating bed alert can wake him, tell him to go to the toilet and even turn on the lights on the way to the bathroom or commode. You can also get an enuresis alarm which will tell you when he wets - not much use in most situations since it only tells you when he is wet - but might be useful to identify what time he regularly wets and then you can monitor and adjust his fluid intake.
    A good night time routine can also help - perhaps a visual time line (using photos, symbols or objects of reference depending on his needs) will enable him to follow it.
    Good luck!
  • Heather
    I'm getting a bit bored washing the bed linen every other day now. Think the novelty has worn off. But we'll keep trying!
  • fairywishes
    fairywishes Community member Posts: 25 Listener
    My daughter is 6 and is in nappies but she often leaks through. I don't have any solutions but just thought I'd let you know that there are other people out there with the same problems. I also struggle with changing the sheets/duvet so often. On the tips page there is a tip suggesting using bicarb of soda when wet on sheets & mattresses to soak away the liquid and also to lift the smell. I have to admit that I do sometimes just turn the mattress (with sheet still on) round so that I don't always change the sheets.
  • Heather
    Hi. Still perservering with the night time toileting issues. Found if my son goes to bed naked, he is less likely to wet. Respite have found the same. Presume the sensation of control is better. But fingers crossed, we may have a dry summer!

Brightness