Hair Pulling — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hair Pulling

Christine
Christine Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am looking for advice for someone i know. Hair pulling is a problem. We would like to try and replace this. Can anyone reccomend anything? Alternatively can anyone think of anything preferably edible, that is string like and disintergates?

Comments

• Teresa
    Teresa Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Have you tried koosh balls as a replacement? They are pompoms made of fine latex strands, not synthetic material, and are quite robust. My daughter likes playing with and eating 'strawberry laces' (stringlike sweets) but confectionery may not be a good idea if you need to offer something frequently. Celery?

Hope you find something!
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    My son has also recently started hair pulling, only thing I can think of for him just now is to cut it really short, but hair cutting is another issue, in the meantime all we can do is distraction techniques, I usually put something in his hand and ask him to take it somewhere when i see him start hair pulling
  • Christine
    Christine Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yes this works really well through the day. However the most common occurance is at bed time/during the night. Really difficult to offer her something without her getting "too high"

Brightness