Daughter with learning difficulties playing with mud — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daughter with learning difficulties playing with mud

Options
Blod
Blod Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 2016 in Autism and neurodiversity
I'm getting to my wits end to know what to do! My three year old daughter has learning and some physical difficulties. She loves being outside in the garden and her latest thing is playing in the mud especially wet mud. The problem is she just brings hand fulls of mud in and gives it to me or drops it on the floor. I usually manage to get her outside and take her to put the mud back with a firm 'no' and say the flowers need it. But she will just keeps doing it. I warn her that she will have to come in if she does it again, she does and she, with much protestation is brought in. I let her go out again an hour or so later but the behaviour repeats itself. There is no look of defiance, or mischief on her face she just doesn't get that this is not appropriate and doesn't understand right from wrong (and this is generally in everything)
Any ideas on how to discipline a child when they just don't get it?!
Please help! thanks x

Comments

• JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    Options
    I would try either a sand and water table outside, it gives the same texture as mud, or gether mixing cakes with flower etc, it sounds like the texture and a sensory issue. Replace the mud with something similar in texture. Or create a wee area in the garden for her to play with the mud, some garden tools, seeds etc, show pictures of the flowers growing, seeds going into the dirt etc. Try pictures a lot to help her with her understanding.
  • Teresa
    Teresa Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Options
    I find sometimes that letting my daughter do something close to the undesirable thing means she loses interest in it that much more quickly...and moves on to other mischief. For instance, maybe give her a big bucket by the door from the garden to put the mud in instead of bringing it in to the house.
  • Blod
    Blod Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Just after I posted this I thought about the sandpit, so we renewed the sand in it and the mud issue lessened. However she brings the sand in now!! I think she loves the feel of it and wants to share the experience!
    Thanks x
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    Hi Blod. Sounds like some good advice from the others. Just wanted to share that I have a three year old, who doesn't have a learning disability - but also moves sand and mud about. My hoover is nearly kaput! I've yet to come up with my a solution - I've tried wheelbarrows, buckets, etc. Please let me know if you find a solution!

Brightness